The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much difficult to handle a server if I purchase cPanel?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pakchess, Jul 16, 2012.

1. pakchess

pakchess Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I was using cpanel in past and I have not used any dedicated server in past. This is first time I am planning to purchase a dedicated server but I am afraid to use or handle it because I have no any knowledge about server administration. I am only familiar with cpanel because I am using cpanel with shared hosting for all my web sites. If I order cpanel with dedicated server then is it possible to manage the server through cpanel as I used cpanel in my shared hosting? Or there are more complicated things involved?
    Now I think you understand my condition so please suggest me, if I purchase an unmanaged dedicated server, can I handle it with cpanel???

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello pakchess,

There are other tasks to handle besides cPanel itself. You'll need to setup components in WHM (Web Hosting Manager) for the machine. I would suggest ensuring to find a good hosting provider who is at least willing to get you through the first week or two of setup for the machine to get everything working. After it is setup for the hostname, nameservers and domain on the machine, you'd likely not need that much assistance.

Also, we do have a WHM demo available to see options in it:

Live Demo | cPanel, Inc.

Please select the "Root and Reseller Admin" one listed.

Also, you are always welcome to ask questions here on the forum. If you run into any major issues on the machine, you can submit a ticket to us using WHM's Support Center > Contact cPanel area.

Thanks!

3. NetMantis

NetMantis BANNED

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    There is so very much to server management that is very essential and necessary that goes way beyond cpanel and I would not personally recommend anyone trying to manage any server by cpanel alone especially if they have little or no experience in linux systems administration or hosting server management.

Trying to manage a server with no experience by cpanel / whm alone would be something like playing Russian roulette with a loaded gun -- generally not a very good idea.

If you have no prior experience with dedicated server management or are not confident in your ability to manage any server, my best recommendation to you is that you do not purchase an "un-managed" server.

Or conversely, you might purchase an un-managed server and then go purchase a support contact from a 3rd party management company to help manage your server. This also would be a solution.

What I would not recommend is you trying to setup and manage the server yourself after what you described.

4. srpurdy

srpurdy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    One thing you can do is. maybe get a small server maybe a VPS or something that you can play around with that doesn't have anything super important on it. Then have a managed or 3rd party help on the main box. That way you can actually learn something. :)

And you could always end up using the small server as a test box later. :)

If you never actually do it even with no experience you'll never learn how. But at the same time there is much risk to running a system without some experience.

5. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Agreed. You can pick up a cheap VPS most anywhere now days to test things out on. Managed is easier and certainly an option if you're not in the position to take some time to learn, do lots of reading and find your way thru securing and properly setting up a new server.

That said, a search from here for the word security and initial setup (searched for separately of course) can point you in the right direction I'm sure:
    Support | cPanel, Inc.

6. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    In addition to the other good comments in this thread, I would like to mention that if you are not familiar with Linux, taking on the management of a server hosting sites for paying customers is a formidable task. Familiarity with Linux is a must for successfully running a server. cPanel makes your life as a server administrator much easier by automating many tasks, but it does not completely eliminate the need for familiarity and expertise with Linux. You really need familiarity with the Linux shell command prompt, not just a GUI/Web interface, to successfully run a hosting server.

A good data center will help you with many administrative tasks, but the extent to which they will help you depends on their own policies. Many data centers offer "managed hosting" plans, which are usually more expensive, but in return they will do many administrative tasks for you. We (cPanel) offer comprehensive support for our product, but the extent to which we can help you with administrative tasks that are beyond the scope of our product is limited.

If you are not familiar with Linux, you should probably consider hiring a qualified server administrator to run your server for you, and consider the cost of retaining an administrator as a cost of doing business. We offer a list of server administrators in our application catalog here:

Sys Admin Services | cPanel App Catalog