The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much disk space needed for CentOS 6 and cPanel?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by houseoftech, May 19, 2014.

1. houseoftech

houseoftech Member

I plan on ordering a Virtual server with CentOS 6 and cPanel and want to know if a 25GB First Disk is going to suffice for the OS and cPanel and necessary packages to run a LAMP stack. I will put the /home and other data on a second disk. This server will have 4GB RAM. What I've found so far suggests I should have a 6GB swap partition, 5GB root partition, and 300MB boot partition. cPanel installation requirements says it needs a minimum of 20GB (40GB recommended). I don't see how it would use that much. My current server, RHEL 5.2 and cPanel 11.34 only uses about 12.4GB excluding /home.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Please ensure you review the following advanced partitioning guide:

cPanel Installation - Advanced Partitioning Guide

It's important to keep in mind that databases, emails in the queue, and most log files are not stored in the /home partition.

Thank you.

3. houseoftech

houseoftech Member

Thanks for the link. I guess I have very little database usage at the moment.

Would it work well to have /boot, /usr, /tmp, and swap partitions on the 25GB disk and /var and /home on the secondary disk?

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, that would be a better scenario in my opinion because it leaves additional space for the /usr partition in the event your log files begin to take up significant space.

Thank you.