The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how much load...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MMarko, Sep 2, 2005.

1. MMarko

MMarko Well-Known Member

...can PIV 2.8 with 1GB ram handle? Is 140 users at once too much for PIV?

thx for replies...

2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

It entirely and utterly depends on what the users are doing, including how busy their websites are and what volume of mail you're dealing with. Just one user executing a poorly coded PHP script could potentially cause plenty of havoc with barely any effort at all.

Nevertheless, a 2.8gig P4 with 1 gig of ram configured sensibly should easily be able to handle a couple of hundred considerate users.

3. MMarko

MMarko Well-Known Member

Right now I have 112 httpd processes and load average: 3.77, 5.80, 5.97

You think that is possible to have load <1 with 200 httpd processes?

There is something of php (I have php cacheing enabled and properly configured), but main load are adult galleries which are static.

I've gone through http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/misc/perf-tuning.html and made almost all suggested modifications.

4. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

If you like you could try either disabling keepalives or lowering the keepalive timeout so that unused Apache processes are killed off more quickly.

However on the basis that each Apache process requires RAM, the more Apache processes running the more RAM required and its possible that in order to smoothly handle a constantly large number of Apache processes you might want to consider more RAM. But then I'm no expert on that one and that's just a casual guess.

Nevertheless the load averages you quote don't seem out of the ordinary.

Its certainly not the case that load averages greater than 1 unequivocally mean that your server is running too hot - a lot of the time it is more up to you to determine whether server performance is acceptable for your clients.

Whilst it is true that the higher the load averages, the slower the server will perform/respond, its really up to you to decide whether the response times are acceptable for the service you want to provide. Try comparing the following properties when the load is low and when the load is high:

- time taken to load a selection of hosted sites
    - time taken for an external email to reach the recipient's mailbox
    - time taken for an internal email to reach an external mailbox
    - time taken for an internal email to reach and internal mailbox

If, for example, you notice that it takes 1 second for a certain website to load when the server load is around 1 but only 1.1 seconds for the same site to load when the server load is around 5, then you should have nothing to worry about.

Sometimes my server load can shoot up to 10 or more, often due to silly things I'm experimenting with, but still from the client point of view no discernable variance in server performance is noticable.

5. MMarko

MMarko Well-Known Member

Done that :)

I have 1GB.

I want load < 1, max 2.

OK, so we can say that this is "normal" load. Sites are loading in normal time, nothing excessive.

6. MMarko

MMarko Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about adding a light www server with only basic funcionality for static content.

7. MMarko

MMarko Well-Known Member

Added additional 512MB RAM. It seems fine and happy now :D