The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much resources does clamavconnect take?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by damainman, Oct 30, 2004.

1. damainman

damainman Well-Known Member

I been thinking about this for awhile, but never actually posted it. Lets say i have a server with 100 clients, what would happen if they all used clamavconnector to scan their account all at the same time?

Would this crash the server, or is there a safeguard in place that would prevent this from happening... like queuing the scans or something?

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Like anything, if it's abused it can create unforseen problems. Virus scanning is both CPU and memory intensive. Another mydoom virus event could easily bring your server down to a crawl (it really shouldn't crash, but you might not be able to connect to it).

I would imagine that with the clamavconnector, the number of scanning jobs is limited by your (or cPanels) configuration of clamd.conf where you can set such things as:

# Maximal number of threads running at the same time.
    # Default: 10
    #MaxThreads 10

Setting this low will help prevent such problems, but could slow down mail delivery a bit. Other solutions that call ClamAV without using clamd should have their own limiting measures.

3. damainman

damainman Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply :)

So allowing my clients access to clamav, might turn out to be more troublesome then benificial in the long run if i have alot of clients....

Does cpanel have any input on this?

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I don't think it will necessarily be a problem. It's just something to be aware of, especially when the next major virus attack hits the net.