The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much server do we need for this situation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by VPCI, Oct 12, 2014.

1. VPCI

VPCI Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Hello All,

We have been using cpanel managed servers for a very long time. However we have to move to another hosting company because of downtime (network.)

So we went looking at other hosting options.

The server has about 20 accounts on it, most all are small, however one is a medium sized ecommerce site. They do about 40Kpageviews a day and BW is about 1Gig a day. Good company never had any problems. The current system is a single processor quad core with 4 Gig of Ram and a fast RAID.

This was okay and handled all normal traffic pretty well. Sever load would go to single digits once in awhile but mostly it was around .50 However there are times at night when it does some maintenance that it would be pretty slow. I"m not sure what it is.

So we moved it to a VPS system, (also cpanel) and just doesn't seem as fast. The hardware is about the same (I'm told better but I did not know the new system was VPS.) However the sites seem to load a little bit slower (using webpagetest to quantify it.)

I'm just wondering, did we go backwards? The old dedicated server was old and outdated, and the new VPS is modern and up to date. But i'm not sure we gained anything in performance and might have gone backwards. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Thanks for reading.

2. wswd

wswd Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You have to remember that VPS is shared hosting. You are on a shared server with many other people. So if the VPS node is the same hardware as your dedicated server, yes, the performance is likely to decrease drastically. Instead of the hardware being used by just you, it's now being shared by all sorts of other people.

3. OrchidMantis

OrchidMantis Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    As a general rule, I would agree with wswd and not recommend VPS hosting.

Wswd is correct, VPS is a type of shared hosting and typically bad hosting at that. People oten tend to assume simply because VPS servers cost more than shared hostinng that they are better than shared hosting but in truth it is most often the exact opposite. Sure, you do gain more administrative control but you do so at the expensive of server resources, performance, security, and stability.

Cloud based VPS servers tend to be somewhat better than single machine based VPS servers but it is often to know which you are getting and providers of both types of servers often both label their services generically by the name VPS so as a general rule, I tend to just recommend steering away from VPS servers entirely unless you really understand the differences.

If you are cash pinched for replacing your original dedicated server, you may want to look into either a standard traditional non-vps reseller type of program that many hosts offer. This will usually be cheaper and more reliable than buying a VPS server.

Another way you might cut costs would be to look for deals on older dedicated server models that were brand new last year. The data centers out there usually try to sell these discounted at the end of the year. Most data centers begin running these specials about now and you might find some excellent deals floating out there better than your original server.

4. chrisnagios

chrisnagios Member

vps can no way be as fast as a dedicated is

5. VPCI

VPCI Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Yes, I'm getting that vibe. So the question is this: how much sever is needed for this situation? It is possible to gauge based on BW, no. of visitors, no. of pages, etc? Is there some formula or chart that gives someone a guide to go by?

Thanks!

6. mageshm

mageshm Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    @ VPCI,

You can use the same configuration which you are having now. Make sure you should take XEN based vps because its hardware virtualization, so you will get dedicated environment compare with other virtualization technologies.

7. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

The following thread is intended for troubleshooting high loads, but you would likely find it helpful because it explains how to check memory usage, disk I/O, and CPU usage:

Troubleshooting High Loads On Linux Servers

Thank you.