The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Much Space is Left to Use

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vinayak, Nov 22, 2003.

1. Vinayak

Vinayak Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2003
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I was just reading cPanel installation instruction, it says

4. The following partitions are recommended prior to installing cPanel:
    001 GB /
    050 MB /boot
    001 GB /tmp
    010 GB /usr
    007 GB /var
    001 GB swap
    Remaining space to /home

Note: The above partitioning scheme is assuming a 40 GB hard drive. If you have a larger hard drive, you should increment /usr & /var accordingly.

If you do not have a partitioning scheme similar to the above, it is recommended that you format & repartition your machine as you may run into operational issues in the future.

As it says this is for 40 GB HDD, but above will consume half of the space, hence I was wondering how much space is left for selling. And also asuming that /var & /usr are also filled up as new accounts are made or database files grows, so how to calculate.

As I do not have any dedicated server experience but planning to go for one, so can any one enlighten me with the detailes on this issue, I mean if as per now days configuration if 80 GB HDD is used how much will be left for shared hosting selling.
  2. shaun

shaun Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2001
    San Clemente, Ca
    with a 40gb drive, we usually dedicated half the space to the OS and the other half to /home

this would leave you with 20gb of space in home, note that mysql is stored in /var so you could sell more than 20GB if most of the space used by the customer was for mysql.