The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How often do you get BFD attacks?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by digitard, Apr 28, 2005.

1. digitard

digitard Well-Known Member

After recently doing a bunch to secure my server (thanks to you guys in the forums for all the great info I have read) I've had BFD running in the background to take care of Brute Force stuff and notify me. I had NO idea how often people try to break into my box and shut down APF.

How often do you get a BFD warning in email saying it banned someone and they tried to run /etc/apf/apf -d as their script?

Luckily I have only 1 SSH access login on my box and its non-standard (so no dictionary attack will figure it out most likely) and the password is numbers, letters (capital and lowercase) and special characters so I feel its the best I can do security wise on the password.

I recieved 15 today... and average 4-10 a day. I'm sure those of you who have larger servers w/ a larger client base probably recieve it a LOT more.

How often do you get a BFD attempt?

2. rs-freddo

rs-freddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    BFD runs the apf script, not the wannabe hackers.

I've had about 20 today, normally i get 20 a week.

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Often it seems to depend who had the IP address range before you as to how many brute force hits you get. I have some severs that rarely get any and some that get 50+ a day. But, at least now it's doing its thing :)

4. digitard

Yeah each time I get that I get a lil more faith in how I setup APF and other security programs.

I dont know why though the past 48hrs seems to be 'super attempt' season on my server. I know its either the same people spoofing IP's, or my IP has been posted as a 'try to shut down the server' board or something cause its the same stupid dictionary list (if I have to see DARKMAN one more time!!!) but still its sorta annoying...lol.

Oooh while I was typing I got another one! lol.

Its all good though. I listened to what you guys had to say here about securing my server and I'm not worried about someone gaining SSH casue root login is off and only 1 user (myself) has SSH access and the login is damn near impossible to just 'guess'.

5. rs-freddo

rs-freddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Mostly they are just automated attacks from infected machines. Recognise the user "test" or "patrick", occasionally I even get the user "root".

I removed all ip's from the deny file when rebooting the server couple of days ago. Again today I've had over 20 attacks - which again is unusual. Maybe there's another successful windows virus out there again... There were 5 serious Windows vulnerabilities a couple of weeks ago.

6. webits

webits Well-Known Member

I hope you changed the PORT SSH, I use to have loads of kiddies trying to gain access to my BOX, so i changed the SSH PORT, put all the necarray ports to be open and out going and bang, never again did I've a problem just with some FTP login failures trying to gain access :)

7. digitard

I haven't changed my SSH port... yet. Its on my 'list of things to do' but I'm getting married in less than 48hrs (lol) so my 'webserver updates' are on hold til I get back cause I wanna be able to thoroughly test things before I say 'okay' and leave it alone for 4 days while I'm gone.

8. brianc

brianc Well-Known Member

Congratulations!

Congratulations! Marriage is a good institution and I have been married for 11 years now and each year is better than the previous.

<blush>Sorry for the off-topic reply.</blush>

Brian

9. verdon

verdon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    He's right... 21 for me... not always easy, but worth it in the long run... Good Luck :)

10. lloyd_tennison

lloyd_tennison Well-Known Member

I recevied 18,000 in one morning. I changed to ssh port. Something is definitely out there.

11. BraveX

BraveX Well-Known Member

I'm new to the dedicated server arena after being a reseller for a long time. I've had the new server for about 3 weeks and I got m first BF attack this morning.

I don't allow shell/telnet access on my server (except for root). How would I go about changing the SSH port? Should I be using something else other than root for extra security? Any recommendations? (I'm new to CPanel and using a server with Red Hat Linux OS installed)

Thanks,
    BX

P.S. Congrats Brian.

12. brianc

brianc Well-Known Member

13. BraveX

BraveX Well-Known Member

Thanks, Brian!

14. rligg

rligg Well-Known Member

why not just deny access from all ips with the exception of a few?

15. lloyd_tennison

lloyd_tennison Well-Known Member

Be careful doing that - most ISP's (for people that work from home) use dynamic IP's and you could get locked out...

16. rligg

rligg Well-Known Member

:) True. I don't give out SSH, unless someone has a fixed ip address.