The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How should I set up a global DNS presence?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by JamesAB, Apr 4, 2010.

1. JamesAB

JamesAB Active Member

Right now I'm running 3 cPanel dnsonly installations from the same private rack in one location. This works, but obviously isn't ideal. For compatabilty, I imagine I want to stick to a cPanel based solution.

What would be the best approach to create a better DNS setup that would have a more "global" presence? How are other people handling this?

Should I simply get VPS accounts in different countries to run cPanel's dnsonly?
    Or should I look into some sort of cloud based solution?

Thanks for any suggestions,
    James

2. JamesAB

JamesAB Active Member

Is anyone using Akamai's "Enhanced DNS" service or something similar to accomplish this?

Thanks,
    James

3. MikeDVB

MikeDVB Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

What is your ultimate goal? If you're just going for redundancy then you could just place 3 servers - each in a different datacenter.

If you're going for low latency I wouldn't really bother because Latency on DNS is very miniscule and due to the way DNS is cached it's not going to really speed anything up by having a world-wide presence.

4. MikeDVB

PartnerNOC

Well - just because the DNS server is close to the requester doesn't mean that it is the one that is going to respond - unless you're running something special above and beyond cPanel DNS Only.

As far as redundancy - I would say having multiple servers in multiple geographically distinct locations would suffice and it wouldn't have to be in different countries.

5. MikeDVB

PartnerNOC

I'm not sure how my response got posted before your question according to the forums... Very strange.

6. JamesAB

JamesAB Active Member

I'm looking for redundancy, the shortest latency from points around the globe & peace of mind.

Budget is not the most important factor here.

I'd like to have the fastest, most bulletproof cPanel compatible solution I can find.

Thanks,
    James

7. JamesAB

JamesAB Active Member

Thanks for the reply MikeDVB. You're right. It is odd that the forum is displaying posts out of order here. :confused:

So basically, I'm looking at either having multiple servers in diferrent datacenters or a cloud based solution like Akamai's "Enhanced DNS":
    Akamai Enhanced DNS (Domain Name Service): Dependable Service to Direct Users to Your Web Sties.

I'd love to get some feedback from anyone here using Akamai or similar service providors for this. Or if people think it's not worth it, I'd like to hear those opinions too.

Thanks,
    James

8. MikeDVB

PartnerNOC

Personally I wouldn't waste my money - if your DNS is properly configured there is 1 or maybe 2 DNS queries that hit your DNS server and then that's it and the results are cached on the end user's PC or at their ISP so future queries for the same domain/subdomain don't hit the DNS servers again.

As an example - the first time you go to cpanel.net your browser does a DNS lookup and turns cpanel.net into 208.74.123.44 and then after that every page you load on cpanel.net doesn't require another lookup.

I.e. latency will only affect the first load and it's usually only a few milliseconds.