The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how stable is stable

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mani, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Mani

Mani Well-Known Member

few months ago I posted this, which seemd lots of guys did not like it or at least some of them.

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=38637

now sunday we had a stable out and before I finish updating all my servers a new stable version is out.

can some one easly and softly tell me how STABLE is the stable version.

dont go off mood guys.

now am not here to say cpanel is bad not at all, my point is can you guys at cpanel do the tings that server admins really want and waiting for rather than just adding things here and there and try to get a stable version that is really stable at least for some time.

again I will say this when it comes to one server life is not hard but when it is bunch of servers that you keep upgrading for days and days and before you finish you will get shocked with a new version number on the last box.

dont you think that gives some sort of pain.

at then end I still would say thank you cpanel but get STABLE was that loud !!

forgive me then

#1 Mani, Sep 22, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2005
  2. Myacen

Myacen Well-Known Member

If you look at the changelog between the two releases very little has changed so really no lenghty testing is required.

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Well, the answer remains the same. Really they ought to change STABLE to something else, as all it means is that no serious bugs have been reported for the build for some time. If you don't understand the release procedure cPanel uses, then have a read of this thread where I explained it:
    http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=42105

4. henker

henker Well-Known Member

Where do you access that changelog ? The one at http://changelog.cpanel.net/?&showall=1
    doesn't list any stable release at all.
    In addition, I'd like to second the question, just "how stable is stable".
    Next thing we get is pre-stable, almost-stable, probably-stable.
    I thought that's what release, edge and beta was for.

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

No, it won't. However, if you read the thread I already posted I've explained how it works.

6. John9276

John9276 Member

Was there a specific reason you needed to upgrade your Cpanel? Or was it an upgrade just for the sake of upgrading?

7. Mani

Mani Well-Known Member

well for sure there was a reason as they issued the new stable the last stable on next day could not create new accounts dute to some scripts problem, and yes this was before upgrading since the daily update of cpanel pulled in some scripts.

the only way was to upgrade if it was working fine then I did not have to upgrade just for few things that I might even dont need them that fast.

and you know there is always a fear putting cpanel on auto upgrade even on stable.

but no one knows as "henker" well said we might get pre-stable or stable for 2 days, we-think-it-is-stable, should-be-stable.

I mean how come after all the edge release and so they did not find the bug untill 2 days that the stable was out.

hmmmmm so it was stable for 2 days ???

stable should mean that I am not forced to upgrade unless I want so. or if some thing gets change with the OS or other programs such as php that breaks some thing some where.

I think cpanel need to have 2 teams one as devlopers the other team should be called some thing like quality control.

I dont deny it is a large script but still we need to have a bit of peace of mind here, like hello go around the forum and am talking about cpanel forum it self and see how every one suffer some times.

any how I have no intention of making this as a negative post I know they are working hard but this is only a buzz like hey guys can you make the stable more stable.

8. henker

henker Well-Known Member

Since we got yet another "stable" - why aren't those versions mentioned in the changelog at http://changelog.cpanel.net/ ? The last entry is 10.8.0 (build 45) - EDGE Tree .

9. jensendw

jensendw Member

I personally stick with whichever version works as long as it is fully patched from a security perspective and that I am not in need of any features that the newer stable release offers (there arent that many great new featues normally)

10. challii

challii Well-Known Member

If you want to view the entire contents of the changelog, goto http://changelog.cpanel.net/?showall=1 (notice I took out the &).

I have bugzilla'd this months ago, so if someone from cPanel would get up off their arses and fix it it would be nice :)