Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

How to access dnsonly server from WHM

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by thesrever832, Mar 28, 2018.

1. thesrever832

thesrever832 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I want to install DNSONLY on another server, I already have a cpanel/WHM subscription on one server. I want to manage everything through 1 account.

Only having a single server has limitations including geographically located nameservers, redundancy, bandwidth, speed, etc. I do not want to pay twice and more importantly I don't want to manage cpanel/whm on two or more servers, so i want to just connect all servers to one account which is located on one server where i can manage everything from one place.

It is a bit confusing and I read the article in the help but it is not clear and not enough info.

How do I connect the other DNSONLY cpanels into the original whm account as dns cluster so i can manage all sites on the one whm account?

And to be clear I can do this? Otherwise, I would begin searching for an alternative to cpanel as I don't have the time, money, or resources to manage more than one whm account but i need more than one server for a variety of reasons (bandwidth, redundancy, speed, geographic availability, etc). (Don't tell me to use cpanel vps, i don't want to manage more than one WHM system.)

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Can you provide some more information about managing all accounts from one server? Could you provide some specific examples of the functionality you are seeking?

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. thesrever832

thesrever832 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Some specific different uses:

Case 1: If I have some big websites I want to locate those on another server so they don't hog bandwidth or storage space from first server.

Case 2: If I want to have DNS redundancy I would like to locate a copy of my website on a second server, and that way if server 1 goes down it reverts to server 2 DNS while server 1 is down, so there is no website downtime.

Case 3: In the event of high traffic spikes, I would like to locate my website on more than one server to distribute bandwidth to more than one server and decrease strain and resource usage (RAM, CPU, etc) on each server.

Case 4: For a site which stores high data usage, I would like to locate either CDN or offload some storage (perhaps to a secondary domain or subdomain located on the second server) to a second server to save bandwidth and server resources (RAM, CPU, etc).

In all cases:
    * I want centralized management in one WHM for domains, accounts, software, and settings,
    * and do not want to pay multiple times for the same software which is already very high priced,
    * and do not want to have to maintain settings and software updates across more than one WHM which takes too much time and effort to manage.

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

What you are looking for is a Replication/High Availability environment. This isn't a feature we directly support at this time, but I encourage you to review the following feature requests and vote/add feedback:

Server configuration and data auto-sync (mirroring)
    Active-Active Redundancy or High-availability
    Built-in load balancing, replication, high availability

Also, you can review the comments sections on these feature requests to see examples of how other users are implementing custom setups.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. thesrever832

thesrever832 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Wrong that is not what I am looking for. I DO NOT WANT auto sync data or auto redundancy. I AM NOT asking about load balancing or replication. I don't even think you read my post!!

I asked about the DNSONLY and WHM server CLUSTERS feature.

Looking forward to your real reply.

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @thesrever832,

This isn't possible. There are no features in cPanel & WHM that will allow you to manage accounts from multiple hosting servers in one central Web Host Manager interface. You have to manage the account from the server it's created on. This is the case for DNS as well. While DNS-Only will allow you to store all DNS zones on a single server as part of a cluster, you'd still need to manage the DNS records for the domain name on it's corresponding hosting server.

You'd have to use "WHM >> Transfer Tool" to move an account from one cPanel server to another. This isn't something that's offered as part of the DNS clustering feature.

This is considered a failover configuration, and isn't something you can do DNS clustering. With DNS handled on a remote server (e.g. cPanel DNS-Only), you could manually update the DNS records so that they point to another cPanel server, but it doesn't handle the data of the account at all. That would require a load-balancing/failover setup like referenced in the feature requests.

This is what's considered load balancing/mirroring.

Thank you.

7. thesrever832

thesrever832 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    INCORRECT. Every answer you gave is 100% completely invalid and has nothing to do with the quoted message.

Let me talk to someone else you are just stubborn and insist just to give a negative response without using your brain. How are you not fired yet? Maybe your manager is just as bad a person.

Looking forward to real answer from an intelligent human.

8. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi @thesrever832,

I apologize for any misunderstandings. Let's start from the beginning.

You currently have a cPanel & WHM hosting server, and you'd like to install cPanel DNS-Only on an additional server for the purpose of setting up a DNS cluster. Is that accurate? If so, here are the steps you would take:

1. Install cPanel DNS-Only on the additional server using the instructions at:

Installation Guide - cPanel DNSONLY Installation - Version 68 Documentation - cPanel Documentation

2. On the cPanel & WHM hosting server, browse to "WHM Home » Clusters » DNS Cluster".

3. Click the button to enable DNS clustering.

4. Under "Add a new server to the cluster", choose cPanel and click "Configure".

5. Enter the authentication details of the server that you just installed cPanel DNS-Only on. Note you can get the API token by browsing to WHM Home >> Development >> Manage API Tokens on DNS-Only server.

6. Ensure "Setup Reverse Trust Relationship" is enabled, and choose "Synchronize Changes" or "Write Only as the DNS role. If you use "Synchronize" instead of "Write-Only" as the DNS roles, then it will prevent the creation of a DNS zone on your other web servers (assuming you add more in the future) if the zone already exists (e.g. Customer on Web Server 1 can't create addondomain123.tld if a customer on Web Server 2 has already created addondomain123.tld).

7. Once you've entered the required information, click on Submit. Then, browse to "WHM >> Synchronize DNS Records" and click on "Synchronize all zones to all servers" to ensure all zones are synced to the cluster.

8. You can enable clustering via WHM on the DNS-Only server and choose "Standalone" as the role, however this is not required if you selected Setup Reverse Trust Relationship when configuring clustering on the hosting server.

9. You will need to update your name server IP addresses at the domain registrar of the domain name you have created name servers with so that it properly reflects the IP addresses or the DNS-Only server. Then, browse to "WHM >> Edit DNS Zone" on the cPanel & WHM hosting server and edit the DNS zone for the parent domain name associated with the name servers to reflect the new IP addresses.

Can you let me know if this is the information you are seeking, and if so, let me know of any questions you have about any of these steps?

Thank you.

9. thesrever832

thesrever832 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    this is install instructions.

i want to know the answers to my original questions.

10. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @thesrever832,

Do you mind elaborating on a few points from your original post so I can ensure I'm answering the specific questions and concerns you have? Here's some feedback on parts of your original post regarding the information we need:

You should only need to access Web Host Manager on the cPanel DNS-Only server once during the initial setup. After the DNS-Only server is setup, the DNS changes that are made on the standard cPanel & WHM hosting server are automatically synchronized to the DNS-Only server. Are you planning to use more than one cPanel & WHM server for hosting accounts?

This happens automatically once you setup clustering using the instructions in my previous response.

Thank you.

cPanelLauren likes this.
  11. thesrever832

thesrever832 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    * i want second server.
    * i don't want two cpanels (too much work, too much cost)
    * i want to cluster second server as extra storage and cpu ram ext through the second server as part of the first server cpanel.
    i.e. an account might be setup on second server physically, but it still shows in first cpanel and i never have to access second server
    * i don't have to run updates or maintenance on second server ssh, i can do all on first server through cpanel subscription.

I can't be sure if by your response i can do the above. i would like to believe that what you said can be summarized like this:
    Now, I don't know if my summary above is what you meant. Can you please clarify thanks

12. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @thesrever832,

The quoted text above is the only aspect that won't work. We only offer clustering for DNS purposes. There's no support for using the DNS-Only server as a method of offering extra space or CPU/RAM for the accounts.

Thank you.

13. Chris H

Chris H Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Wow, hold on a second here! No need to be so hostile - the cPanel support staff are some of the best software/service support staff I have ever encountered.

What you are asking is not feasible with a) cpanel or b) cpanel DNSonly.

You can't use two cPanel servers to host one website. The DNSonly version ONLY hosts DNS records - absolutely nothing else, no email, webpages, databases or anything. So in your instance, adding a DNSonly server won't help you. You need to look at other hosting platforms if you want to run something with an always-on ability. I assume you'll have the budget if the site is so critical to you.

cPanelLauren and cPanelMichael like this.