The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to add a website without DNS?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by fizzdandantilus, Feb 15, 2006.

1. fizzdandantilus

fizzdandantilus Registered

Hi,

I would like to know the best way to create an account for a website without adding all the accompanying setups like mail, DNS etc... using WHM/Cpanel.

I have a user that wants to host a website on our server eg. secure.domain.com but wants to keep the www.domain.com, mail and DNS servers on his existing server.

What is the best way to accomplish this?

Thanks,
    Jai.

2. abubin

abubin Well-Known Member

not sure if this will work but you can try this :

1) go to cpanel and create a subdomain, secure.domain.com

2) then setup a redirection in the same page. You probably need to do like secure.domain.com redirect to www.domain222.com and domain222.com is domain in your server.

3. ShockHosts

ShockHosts Well-Known Member

I dont really understand, but if the client has an account (domain.com) and wants a new site (secure.domain.com)... Then tell him/her to make a subdomain that redirects to a folder (public_html/secure/ just say) and new ftp account for the new site.

If you don't mean that, maybe I am just dumb :P

4. WestBend

WestBend Well-Known Member

WHM will set it all up but unless he points his domain to use your name servers absolutely none of your DNS info will be used by any DNS server.

Therefore create an account for him. Create the secure subdomain. Tell him to have who ever controls his DNS records to add in
    secure.domain.com 14400 IN A YOURIP
    voila..

at least thats what I think you need to do.

5. elliotcooper

elliotcooper Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

There is no need to mess around with subdomains to do this. You can create the cpanel account directly for:

secure.domain.com

This will then set everything up with secure.domain.com as the primary domain. And yes, WestBend, yoru right about the A record. Once that is set then:

http://secure.domain.com

will resolve to the public_html folder in the account you just created.

6. fizzdandantilus

fizzdandantilus Registered

Thank you all for your replies.

Creating the account and getting the NS admin to point an A record of secure.domain.com to our server would work if we changed our resolv.conf and didn't do recursive DNS lookups on our NS.
    Hmmm, maybe its not too bad a compromise.

7. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

The only problem with allowing customers to use their own DNS is if you should change IPs,
    suddenly need to move all accounts to another server, or any of a hundred other reasons,
    the customer's site wouldn't be able to be updated automatically and their site would be
    totally offline until you got the word to them about the changes and they made the
    proper updates themselves.

In a word .... a major management headache