The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to add nameservers. There is no option anymore on "Nameserver IPs" page

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by sabater_wb, Oct 7, 2011.

1. sabater_wb

sabater_wb Registered

Hello. I recently ordered a new server with Cpanel and WHM. But there is no way to add nameservers anymore. I'm using WHM 11.30.4

I remember WHM from a time ago, where there was possible to add and remove nameservers using the page Main >> DNS Functions >> Nameserver IPs

And now this looks to not be available on recent versions. Why this?

I needed to add the namservers by editing the nameserverip files, because even the two nameservers I added during the initial setup were not shown.

nameservers.jpg

Is there a way to bring back these features?

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Re: How to add nameservers. There is no option anymore on "Nameserver IPs"

WHM > Server Configuration > Basic cPanel & WHM Setup, bottom of page you add your nameservers. And then go back after setting each one and click Add an A entry button for each.

I think this is what you're looking for.

3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

Of note, WHM > Networking Setup > Nameserver IPs area is only for display purposes. It does not do any of the following:

- Add nameservers to the DNS zone template
    - Add initial nameserver DNS zone entries
    - Edit existing nameserver DNS zone template
    - Edit existing nameserver DNS zone entries

As Infopro noted, this can be done in WHM > Basic cPanel & WHM Setup area. Since Nameserver IPs is only for display, the result of editing anything there via file or otherwise would make no change in any DNS resolution for your nameservers nor would it change your DNS zone templates for account creation.

4. grapico

grapico Registered

I think I am having the same issue. Several of my clients need their own name servers for custom applications/security..though it isn't working. Where did the option go? I don't need initial setup. I already have 10 different name servers running and 15 ip addresses and need to add more, but can't find the option to create a new ns1.blah.com ns2.blah.com anymore.

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

Name servers are created and assigned an IP address at the domain registrar of the domain name. To complete the setup on the cPanel server, you simply need to add the "A" records in via:

"WHM Main >> DNS Functions >> Edit DNS Zone"

So, if the name server is "ns1.domain.com", you would edit the DNS Zone for "domain.com" and add an "A" entry for "ns1" pointing to the IP address it's assigned at the registrar.

No further setup is required, unless you want to change the default name servers used in the DNS Zone of domain names upon their creation (That is done via Basic cPanel & WHM Setup).

Thank you.