Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

How to add nameservers with the new zone editor interface?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lethe, Jul 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Lethe

Lethe Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Since the legacy zone editors are removed, a bunch of options are no longer available.

I need to create nameservers for a subdomain but cPanel (I don't have WHM access) no longer allows us to do so.

Is there a workaround? Or do I have to migrate my DNS elsewhere?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @Lethe,

Modifying or adding new "NS" record types is not possible for cPanel users with the Zone Editor feature. I encourage you to vote and add feedback to the following feature request if this is something you'd like to see supported in the future:

https://features.cpanel.net/topic/zone-editor-support-for-legacy-record-types

In the meantime, you may want to consider contacting your web hosting provider to see if they can edit the zone on your behalf using WHM >> Edit DNS Zone.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Lethe

Lethe Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    So basically vote for a feature that only has 1 vote, has been submitted over a year ago, that cPanel already know is a major problem but refuse to implement.

I'll just migrate my stuff to a competing product that doesn't make us contact the webhoster for simple things like nameservers.

Thanks.

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hi @Lethe,

I'm happy to bring more attention to this feature request internally, but I'll need some more information. In this particular case, you noted the need to create name servers for a subdomain. Generally, it's only the NS records in the parent domain's DNS zone that are applicable to DNS lookups. Is your need to create custom NS records for a subdomain related to a specific domain registrar requirement?

Regarding our feature request website, keep in mind that cPanel's product management team pays close attention to feature requests. The number of votes a feature receives isn't always indicative of how likely it is that we'll implement it. This request in-particular was actually opened by a cPanel employee. Note that comments on a feature request are often very helpful because it allows us to get a better understanding of specific use-cases the feature would solve.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Lethe

Lethe Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    This is no longer relevant to me as I have migrated elsewhere, but obviously others could benefit from this.

There are plenty of perfectly legitimate reasons to have access to nameserver records:
    - Add other, non-cPanel nameservers. These need to be added in cPanel as well. Useful in case DNS goes down on this server/cluster.
    -- Right now, cPanel forces us to use cPanel-only nameservers. This is equivalent to a walled garden. It's counter productive and it ties us into a product with no way out.
    - Delegate a subdomain to a user/employee to which you don't want to provide access to the main DNS.
    -- Employee can run it on the same server, or a different server. It doesn't matter, but I can give him full control.

But in my case, it was to run a DNSBL on a company subdomain. With monthly bandwidth limit, providers implementing rate limitation, the size of the DB and the number of expected queries, we have to host this ourselves. cPanel's answer is basically: buy another domain.

Sorry if I sounded like an *** but I simply can't believe cPanel would pull this sort of thing. We're supposed to get more buck for our dollars as the product evolves, but this is simply going backwards and voluntarily causing your paying customers headaches.

cPanelMichael likes this.
  6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @Lethe,

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with additional information.

I do see your point that providing individual cPanel users with the ability to manage all DNS records for the zone file on cPanel server allows for more flexibility and reduces the need to reach out to the web hosting provider to request changes to the zone file. I've voted for the request, and added your feedback with a link to this thread on the feature request page.

For any other cPanel users with the same concern, a workaround until new functionality is considered is to host the DNS on a remote DNS service provider. Most domain registrars will allow you to use their name servers so you can manually manage all DNS records directly at the registrar itself. Additionally, companies such as CloudFlare offer free DNS management for personal websites:

https://www.cloudflare.com/dns/

Thank you.