The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to add new hostname to the DNS?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by deydod, May 13, 2010.

1. deydod

deydod Registered

Apr 27, 2010

Currently I have a server:
    registered nameservers: and

I've bought new server from another datacenter, but I want to use my old nameservers e.g. ns1 and ns2. How can I accomplish that?

A friend of my mine told me to edit the Resolver Configuration and to put there the IP addresses of the first server, but I'm not sure if this is right?
    Can you help?

2. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Do you want to host websites on the new server but wanted to use the old name servers (i.e. ns1/ns2) ?

If yes, you just need to create a DNS zone of the domain on the first server for the domains hosted on the new server. You can add them from WHM >> DNS Functions >> Add a DNS Zone.

i.e. for example, if you host a domain say on the new server,

1) make sure the name servers and are assigned to the domain in the domain registrar panel and
    2) create a dns zone from the above option, specifying the domain name and the new server IP.

To make point to the new server IP, edit the DNS zone of from

First server WHM >> DNS Functions >> Edit a DNS zone

and add an A record for name2 to point to the new server IP.

BTW, you can also cluster both the servers so whenever a domain is added on the new server, the DNS zone of that domain will be created on the first server automatically in which case you don't have to add them manually.