The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to add subs that use cpanel?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by InternetPEI, Jun 17, 2003.

1. InternetPEI

InternetPEI Well-Known Member

Hi,

Tried adding a few subs under one account using WHM so they can get cpanel access,

one way I tried was demo.mydomain.com and taht worked as far as cpanel with a url of www.mydomain.com/~demo which was ok..

but in email, it shows as demo@demo.mydomain.com

then I tried creating this then: mydomain.com/demo as the domain name in whm..

that worked also with a url of mydomain.com/demo but in email it showed demo@mydomain.com.demo as the email address..

is there anyway to set users up with subdomains with working email addresses and cpanel access?

Thanks

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. Brian Farkas

Brian Farkas Well-Known Member

I'm a little bit confused by the wording of your question as to exactly what you're asking, but I'll take my best guess. If you want to have a subdomain that has cpanel access and email, you can simply create it as you would any other account in WHM. However, instead of entering yourdomain.com in the domain field, you would enter the subdomain in the form of subdomain.yourdomain.com. This would essentially have all the features of a regular account.

It seems like you want demo.domain.com to also be accessable as domain.com/demo, is this correct? If so, you could always create a symlink linking the demo directory to the demo.domain.com public_html directory. I'm sorry if this does not answer your question, but if you could perhaps reword it I'd be happy to try and give a clearer answer.

Thanks,

Brian Farkas

3. InternetPEI

InternetPEI Well-Known Member

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, Yes that is what I am trying to do, but also I am trying to get a working email out of the demo user acount..

When I create demo.mydomain.com in WHM, It works fine, but the email when I check the email is demo@demo.mydomain.com and wont work...

and I tried also by not creating an email when setting up in whm (set email as 0) and then tried to create a demo@mydomain.com under my main accounts cpanel.. it gave me the error that the name was already in use..

Is there anyway to create a mirror of my cpanel with 100% working features as a sub domain?

(ie: mail works,cpanel works,etc)

Or would it be easier to tell users that cpanel is not available on sub accounts and if they want cpanel to register a domain? :D

Thanks

4. Brian Farkas

Brian Farkas Well-Known Member

Did you set that account as a demo account? That could possibly be the reason. In any event, we have setup subdomains that use cpanel without any problems, so mail should go through. If the account is setup through whm, why not try going to the command line and typing:
    mail -v demo@demo.domain.com <press enter>
    then enter a subject and press enter, then type a message and press ctrl+d and enter to send.

That should give you a better idea of where your mail is ending up. If you post the output I might be able to help you figure out where the problem is.

Good luck,

Brian