The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to allow adding Russian domain names in Cyrillic charsets?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by markedwards, Jun 13, 2011.

1. markedwards

markedwards Member

Hi,

I have a customer that is trying to add an addon domain that is using cyrillic letters since the domain name is in Russian. However cPanel is saying the domain name is invalid even though it's registered already and the name servers point at my server. So it seems there's some other issue with WHM/cPanel itself.

One thing more I discovered is that if I try to do a whois lookup on the domain from a command line in a shell then the lookup fails. However if I do the same lookup on my laptop system on a different network then the lookup works fine. The domain itself has been registered for a while, so it's not an issue of the domain name being new.

Any ideas?

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    In looking at older posts on this forum about this it was suggested that you needed to convert the domain name. I'm not sure this is the best answer here, just trying to help.

3. markedwards

markedwards Member

Ya, I just found an older post from 2009 that said one solution is to convert to punycode using this tool:

IDN Conversion Tool

But that seems a bit tedious for users to have to do that all the time. Seems to me that at this point cPanel could do that conversion automatically, or allow for cyrillic chars to be entered directly.

Anybody have the best solution?

#3 markedwards, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2011