How to allow my WHM server 1 (Websites) to access smtp and send email from my WHM server 2 (Email)

slashroot

Registered
Jun 26, 2020
Montreal, QC, Canada
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey,

I've been doing a lot of research online trying to find how i can do this but i cant seem to find what im looking for and im hoping ill get a better understanding of this by asking the experts.

We currently have 1 server (with cPanel) that manages both our clients websites and emails. But we've been growing ever since and so we've decided to get ourselves 2 servers with cPanel on them (we are also changing supplier so we are migrating everything from the old server to the new ones). This time ahead, we've decided to split our clients services between those 2 new servers. Server 1 will be hosting the client websites and applications and Server 2 will be managing their email accounts. We think its a great idea so that if one server goes down for any reason at least our clients aren't left dead in the water with none of their services working.

What im trying to do is allow a website (example.com) hosted on server 1 to send emails (order confirmations, account creation, password resets, etc...) using the same domain (example.com) thats hosted on server 2 for their emails. We obviously want to be able to do this without compromising security on our servers, or having any emails labelled as potential spam.

What would be the best way to go about this? And are we correct to assume that this is the right way to go about what we want?

Thank you for your assistance.
Phil

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
There's really no way to do this without sending ALL Mail from the secondary server. It's pretty simple to do this for the secondary server when you set it up as the mail server for your domain - just create an A record for mail.yourdomain.tld and make that the MX record for the domain where DNS for it is hosted.

We also have How to Use Server Profiles | cPanel & WHM Documentation which is still experimental but essentially you could set up a server to JUST handle mail.

Reactions: slashroot

slashroot

Registered
Jun 26, 2020
Montreal, QC, Canada
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
There's really no way to do this without sending ALL Mail from the secondary server. It's pretty simple to do this for the secondary server when you set it up as the mail server for your domain - just create an A record for mail.yourdomain.tld and make that the MX record for the domain where DNS for it is hosted.

We also have How to Use Server Profiles | cPanel & WHM Documentation which is still experimental but essentially you could set up a server to JUST handle mail.
Thank you