The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Back up database and/or files by setting up a cron?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Binesh, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Binesh

Binesh Member

Hello all ...

I tried searching previous threads to find my answer, but I simply couldnt understand anything. All that was posted went over my head, I guess it would be ok with you guys if I asked some basic questions? I'd be really thankful for any replies :)

• How to set up a cron job using cPanel's Standard Cron Manager to:

1. backup database on a daily/weekly/monthly basis, storing the backup file on the webhost?

2. backup database on a daily/weekly/monthly basis and email the backup file to an email address?

3. backup database on a daily/weekly/monthly basis, storing the backup file on the webhost as well as emailing the file to an email address?

4. backup all files in public_html on a daily/weekly/monthly basis, storing the backup file on the webhost?

5. backup all files in public_html on a daily/weekly/monthly basis and email the backup file to an email address?

6. backup all files in public_html on a daily/weekly/monthly basis, storing the backup file on the webhost as well as emailing the file to an email address?

Anyone caring to answer these questions will be helping all novice users like me to a great extent :) Honestly speaking, I dont even know if 'all' that I asked above is possible.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
    Binesh

-------------------------------------------
    General server information:

• Operating system: Linux
    • Kernel version: 2.4.20-20.9
    • Apache version: 1.3.31 (Unix)
    • PERL version: 5.8.1
    • PHP version: 4.3.8
    • MySQL version: 4.0.20-standard
    • cPanel Build: 9.4.0-RELEASE 21
    -------------------------------------------

2. Sheldon

Sheldon Well-Known Member

run a cron to

/scripts/pkgacct username

this will not email the backups however place the tar file inside /home/

Sheldon

3. Binesh

Binesh Member

Hey,

Thanks a lot Sheldon for your time and reply :)

The thing is, I am very very very novice to carry out any of the above mentioned queries without a manual to help me in doing so, step-by-step. Cron for dummies sort, hehe.

Embarrassment beckons me, its the thirst for knowing thats keeping me going :eek:

4. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

I am left with the impression that you do not have root access to the server. Do you have root access to the server? If not, you will not be able to run the script that Sheldon mentioned.

5. Binesh

Binesh Member

Hey SarcNBit :)

I do have root access to the server. What Sheldon mentioned serves half the purpose of what I am actually looking for :( Like I mentioned, I know nothing about "how to do this" and I was really hoping if someone could help me out with setting up a cron to do the all tasks I mentioned in the first post of this thread and that I can do so myself, I would learn in the process yeah :D

Could someone please help me out here? :eek: