The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to backup a cPanel Account with 1.5TB Data?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ezztro, Oct 28, 2009.

1. ezztro

ezztro Well-Known Member

Hello,

question in Title :)

Any suggestion?

2. zigzam

zigzam Well-Known Member

You can try r1soft. However I dont know if it has been tested with that much data.

3. acenetryan

acenetryan Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

R1Soft will be able to handle this. We use R1Soft to back up all of our shared servers and it can handle our large storage (>1.5TB) without a problem.

You do have to be careful about management of such a large volume though. The R1Soft service should have a few configuration changes made to accommodate the large space you're backing up. Off the top of my head, I remember we had to adjust the amount of memory allocated to the service and the temporary storage location it uses.

You have to decide how many checkpoints you want to store. This depends on how frequently your data changes (and as a result, how large your subsequent snapshots are) and how much space you're willing to put into a backup box.

You'll also probably want a private GigE network for this large amount of data. Otherwise, it can take on the order of days for the initial backup to generate over a 100 mbit line. Once you have the initial backup made, checkpoints can be backed up in hours over a 100 mbit as long your site isn't undergoing drastic changes daily.

Before considering any backup solutions, I would first look over the account in question. In our experience, it is very rare that an account is legitimately using 1.5TB of space. Whether it be due to core dumps, email in the default account (common when spammers take over and frequent bounces are received), or copyrighted material.

If you have time to invest and are just looking for a single backup, you could download the account in pieces over FTP and burn the data to DVD/Blu-ray.

If you're looking for regular, automated backups I suggest R1Soft as well.

4. hostultra

hostultra Well-Known Member

rsync is free and works great for backups.

5. acenetryan

acenetryan Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I agree, if you are looking to save money and don't mind the extra load induced by rsync'ing backups remotely, rsync will do.

We used to use a custom in-house script using rsync to backup all of our shared machines, but as our machines grew in size the load rsync induced became unacceptable. With 2TB of data that needs to be backed up, we found R1Soft to be a better performing solution. Not to mention the tons of easily configurable options the software provides ( multiple checkpoints, incremental backups, compression, 1-click restores, bare metal restores, etc.)

If you can afford R1Soft, it's definitely worth the price IMO.

6. ezztro

ezztro Well-Known Member

Thank you all.