The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Backup a mailing list?

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by George5, Feb 19, 2009.

1. George5

George5 Active Member

Jun 17, 2005
    Hello every body,
    I need to take a mailing list from my server(mailman) and I do not now how to do it; so I need also to convert it in Excel file.

Some body can help me please?
  2. JPC-Martin

JPC-Martin Active Member

May 31, 2008
    George please follow these steps :)

I: Export mailing list:

1. Log into your account via SSH as root user.

2. Find your Mailman directory (usually located in /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/bin)

3. Execute the following command to copy the Mailman mailing list subscribers to a text file: ./list_members LISTNAME > ./subscribers.txt (where LISTNAME is the name of your subscriber list (if your subscriber list is, the LISTNAME would be

4. This will effectively copy your email subscribers into subscribers.txt, placing one email per line.

5. Finally, you'll want to copy the file to a directory accessible via FTP so you can download it, with the following command: cp subscribers.txt /home/username/ (if you copy it to /home/username/public_html you can point a web browser to the file to view or download it)

II: Changing from txt to csv:

You may need to convert your mailing list file (.txt) to a .csv (Comma Separated Value) file for import into certain mailing list applications. You can accomplish this by simply changing its extension from .txt to .csv.