The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Backup a mailing list?

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by George5, Feb 19, 2009.

1. George5

George5 Active Member

Hello every body,
    I need to take a mailing list from my server(mailman) and I do not now how to do it; so I need also to convert it in Excel file.

Some body can help me please?

2. JPC-Martin

JPC-Martin Active Member
    PartnerNOC

George please follow these steps :)

I: Export mailing list:

1. Log into your account via SSH as root user.

2. Find your Mailman directory (usually located in /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/bin)

3. Execute the following command to copy the Mailman mailing list subscribers to a text file: ./list_members LISTNAME > ./subscribers.txt (where LISTNAME is the name of your subscriber list (if your subscriber list is list@example.com, the LISTNAME would be list_example.com)

4. This will effectively copy your email subscribers into subscribers.txt, placing one email per line.

5. Finally, you'll want to copy the file to a directory accessible via FTP so you can download it, with the following command: cp subscribers.txt /home/username/ (if you copy it to /home/username/public_html you can point a web browser to the file to view or download it)

II: Changing from txt to csv:

You may need to convert your mailing list file (.txt) to a .csv (Comma Separated Value) file for import into certain mailing list applications. You can accomplish this by simply changing its extension from .txt to .csv.