The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to be a mail server?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by afunworm, Dec 30, 2014.

1. afunworm

afunworm Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm not sure how to describe the problem correctly, but please bare with me.

In WHM VPS, you can configure a domain (for the sake of illustration, mydomain.com) mails to be Remote, for example, pointing to mail.mailserver.com. This means that once the domain, mydomain.com, is pointing at the VPS IP, everything will be processed through that VPS, except for mails, which will be routed to and managed by an external server, in this case, mail.mailserver.com.

My question is: How can I set up my VPS like the server mail.mailserver.com like in the above example? Can people just point their MX Record to my nameservers to have my server processed their mails? What exactly should I set up inside WHM?

Please excuse my poor explanation. Please advise,

Best regards,

Tim..

2. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  3. cPanelPeter

cPanelPeter Technical Analyst III
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

On the mail server (mail.mydomain.com) you would need to set up their email accounts just like you would on the other cPanel server. Then yes all the users have to do is point their MX record to your server.