The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to block an IP range [moved]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Morpurgo.nl, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Morpurgo.nl

Morpurgo.nl Registered

How to block an IP range

I have a lot of spam and know in witch range their IP is. In the “IP Deny Manager” I can't find how to block from “64.71.128.0 - 64.71.191.255”

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

The IP Deny Manager is only for blocking IP access to web pages on an individual cPanel account. If you want to block IP addresses from your whole server then you would need to install a firewall on it (i.e. an iptables firewall on Linux, e.g. APF) and block the ranges in that.

3. Morpurgo.nl

Morpurgo.nl Registered

The range Deny is for incomming traffic on my website http://www.morpurgo.nl , I don't have my own server. I'ts all running at http://www.budgetwebhosting.nl/ where I rent my space.

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Then there's nothing much that you can do within cPanel. You're probably best of installing a spam proxy service on your PC, sich as spamhilator:
    http://www.spamihilator.com/

Or ask your host if they will implement an anti-spam solution for their customers (or find won that already does).

5. Morpurgo.nl

Morpurgo.nl Registered

We're not talking about e-mail spam but site/referrer spam om the url morpurgo.nl witch is locked on this cPanel witch I control. The spamihilator has nothing to do with this kind of spam i think.

6. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Since you don't manage your server, nor have access to root, you'll need to contact your hosting provider and ask them to block the IP adresses in question.

7. spook

spook Registered

hi

sorry to drag this one up from the depths of time but I have a similar issue......

I use shared hosting........I run a website with forum and chat functions within............I have had to ban someone for the first time ...........I have blocked access to the forum for them but now they have turned their attention to the rest of the site, where trolling is the keyword............I really need to block them completely and unfortunately the last two sections of the Ip address change regularly

I have read and kind of understood the advice given above.......BUT...........the IP Deny Manager clearly states:

"This feature will allow you to block a range of IP addresses to prevent them from accessing your site"

either this is unfortunate wording or I can in fact block a 'range' ...........

I have tried using a hyphen between the addresses and a hyphen with spaces but with no joy

can anyone help me with this please?

8. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

You might be better off asking your service provider for that help so they can investigate at the server level.

9. spook

spook Registered

thankyou for your time in posting but as I indicated above

BUT...........the IP Deny Manager clearly states:

"This feature will allow you to block a range of IP addresses to prevent them from accessing your site"

either this is unfortunate wording or I can in fact block a 'range' ...........

I have tried using a hyphen between the addresses and a hyphen with spaces but with no joy

can anyone help me with this please?

I think that this is an issue and either there is a way of doing it or the developers need to change their wording as it will save people a fair bit of time and effort