The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to block default mail account from sending or receiving mail?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by deanhills, Aug 30, 2016.

1. deanhills

deanhills Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Is there a way that one can block all incoming and outgoing mail to a default e-mail user account? The user has asked that he doesn't want his default mail account to receive incoming mail, nor to use it for sending mail. He wants it disabled. I understand one can't disable an account, but is there a way one can block all incoming and outgoing mail from being received by a default mail account?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You can browse to "Default Address" in cPanel to ensure all unrouted email is not delivered to the default email account:

Default Address - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

There are no native features to prevent the default address from sending email, but you may find this user-submitted workaround helpful:

Prevent Default Account From Sending

You can also add feedback to the existing feature request to prevent the default email address from sending email:

disable the default E-Mail address from sending out E-Mail

Thank you.

3. deanhills

deanhills Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you for the detailed response.

Regarding suggestion No. 1, that I've already done in detail. Along the :fail: option. However, some of the mails are still coming through.

Suggestion 2 is an excellent suggestion. Is there a reverse option too for not allowing the domain to receive any mail, like something that would both prevent outgoing as well as incoming mail to a domain?

I've just tried to register to provide feedback but WOW just can't seem to be able to do it. Why do I need to register for it if I'm already registered with the Forum? When I send it it comes up with a need to log in. It won't accept the e-mail I used to register for the Forum as it says it is already in use. Then when I use it with my password it says there is a mismatch. I wanted to provide feedback, but was unsuccessful to login/register.

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Greetings, Single Sign On with the Feature Requests site is malfunctioning at this time unfortunately. Please feel free to register an account there manually.

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Could you provide the output from /var/log/exim_mainlog when a message makes it through? Does the email account exist?

Thank you.