Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

How to block emails by wildcard across a server

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by martin MHC, May 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. martin MHC

martin MHC Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Exim Version 4.91-5 WHM version 78.0.23

There are many email domains that are receiving spams from the same source emails,

SpamAssassin is impractical as this blocks wildcard domains only on a per-account basis.

What I want to do:
    -- Check a sending domain matches a set pattern or a wildcard pattern, and if so discard silently across any server account.

What I have read so far...
    I have read various topics on this:

And the documentation on applying Exim rules.

- How to Customize the Exim System Filter File - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

However, The example on the WHM Documentation is simple and does not reference wildcarding. I have set up a file per the documentation and reading links above, thus:

Code:
    if
      $h_from: contains "@example.com"
      or $h_from: contains "@example.net"
      or $h_from: matches ".*@.*\.example\.org$"
      or $h_from: matches ".*@.*\.icu$"
    #then noerror seen finish
    then
      deliver "SpamTest <admin@atmyserver.co.uk>"
      seen finish
    endif

The Exim Documentation on PCRE ( Exim Specification - Regular expressions ) states that in "matches" that single backslashes are enough (rather than double) and that dollar signs do not need escaping.

And this seems to stop the "Contains" but I suspect this rule also seems to be failing for all emails. I received reports that at least one client has received no emails since this was put in place.

What I would like to achieve

I am trying to set a single cannonical location on the server to list PCRE email from accounts that should be silently blocked from all server accounts.

I need so far:

• - To block anything from @example.com (this works)
    • - To block anything from @example.net (this works)
    • - To block anything from any email shaped as <anything>@<anything>.example.org
    • - To block anything from any email shaped as <anything>@<anything>.icu
    From the stackexchange link above I also ran the "/usr/sbin/exim -bF <scriptfile> -f <sender>" but this returned nothing; so was ambiguous (I am a litte fishing in the dark, here) .

What is the best way of achieving this aim, Once I'm confident of the PCRE working I can add further domains to the list.

Thank you.

#1 martin MHC, May 10, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2019
  2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I understand that this might not be what you're after, but I use MailScanner Front End for this. With all the new domain extensions being used for spam these days, this makes blocking them one by one, a little easier.

ssblmsfe.png

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...