How to block FTP access

nesoor

Registered
Sep 29, 2015
Helmond
cPanel Access Level
Reseller Owner
Hello cPanel members,

I hope this is the right section :) I searched on Google but I didn't find a good answer.
I want to block FTP access for certain cPanel accounts. Is this possible?

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello :)

Yes, it's possible per the instructions in the document referenced in the previous post. However, you will need root access to make changes to the /etc/ftpusers file. You can ask your hosting provider to make the change for you if you do not have root access to the system.

Thank you.

nesoor

Registered
Sep 29, 2015
Helmond
cPanel Access Level
Reseller Owner

Yes, it's possible per the instructions in the document referenced in the previous post. However, you will need root access to make changes to the /etc/ftpusers file. You can ask your hosting provider to make the change for you if you do not have root access to the system.

Thank you.
Hey jcats and Michael,

Thanks for your answers, I was exactly searching for this!
I put the file "ftpusers" in etc/ and added also the username I wanted to block. Unfortunately the user has still access.
I put the file into the main account and the users account, just to be sure.

Is the root directory where the following folders are situated: public_html, tmp, mail, logs, etc etc?

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Is the root directory where the following folders are situated: public_html, tmp, mail, logs, etc etc?

No, the directory in question is only available with "root" access to the system. You can ask your hosting provider to make the change for you, as you don't have access to do so with a shared hosting account.

Thank you.