The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to block spam users ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by maxihost2, Sep 20, 2005.

1. maxihost2

maxihost2 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Hello,

I am looking for a solution to implement on my server to block spam users.

My main problem is mails going out.

I have already set a maximum of e-mails in WHM, although even if the server is refusing the spam user open lots of exim threads and take the load to the sky.

Sometimes my server goes down and sometimes with much patiente (because of the speed) I can access it and delete the spammer.

I am looking for a solution for this, something that can scan mainlog or something else. By the way I have noticed that cPanel just installed a new "spamd conf", is this a exim spam throttle ? Anybody tested it ?

Thank you very much.

2. challii

challii Well-Known Member

i recently put the following modification into the advanced exim editor top box
    Code:
    queue_only_load = 5
    Basically all this does is when the server load gets over 5 it stops sending out emails and puts them into the exim queue rather than delivering them.

This is both good and bad.

Good because your load doesnt shoot up when someone mass mails.
    Good because it gives you a chance to examine the emails (upto an hour normally)

Bad because it delays the mails.

3. maxihost2

PartnerNOC

hrm, your users dont complain about delaying messages ? Even when your load is higher than 5 and nobody is spamming ?
    Its a dirty solution but as I dont have any other, I will do at with load = 15 :)

Thank you.

4. challii

challii Well-Known Member

To be honest the only reason the server load goes above 1 on this machine is when backups are running (which is for about 30 mins) and when someone mass mails, so no they dont complain!

5. ramprage

ramprage Well-Known Member

There's no simple way to block spam users as many PHP scripts are used to send out mail, which hackers are always finding new exploits for.

You can try this:
    http://www.webhostgear.com/232.html

6. maxihost2

PartnerNOC

You are very right. 50% of my users do spam using smtp and the other half use it via PHP, if I could totally block 50% of them, it would be very good :)