The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to brand Paper Latern footer logo?

Discussion in 'User Experience' started by nibb, Sep 1, 2015.

1. nibb

nibb Well-Known Member

I'm having a hard time replacing the cPanel logo in the bottom footer in Paper Latern. It always comes back after one day. I even tried to set its permissions so its not mutable and its still replaced.

I understand cPanel wants branding, but this logo is a bit excessive if you ask me. Advertising to your paid users is not nice unless its consented. Not even free control panels do this. This was one of the reason I left Plesk in the first place, to much references and branding to them. cPanel is a paid software, you should not be doing marketing on your customers software. If it was free ok, but its not, its a paid software for service providers.

In my case, I actually don't want to replace the cPanel logo because my users know its cPanel and its fine with me, I want to change it with exactly the same cPanel logo but in a different color. The reason is my footer has the same background color and so the logo is extremely hard to read. Its just looks bad. I want to have a color there with better contrast or a grayed out/black.

Lets not forget we are licensing cPanel, its not free. We should be allowed to fully brand it to change images to match the look. I consider Paper Lantern a big downgrade so far in terms of customization. Everything is harder to change and some code is hardcoded, like the manual links which also should point to my docs.

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
  3. nibb

nibb Well-Known Member

No. I didn't touch the default style. I created my own theme and style based on Paper Lantern.

The file I mention is in this path:
    /usr/local/cpanel/img-sys/powered_by_cpanel.png

It seems that whole folder, all files are replaced on each nightly update which makes it impossible to brand or customize.

cPanel should not be replacing customization or files in a server. If someone replaced something, they probably have a reason.

There was a link in the cPanel documentation which explained how to turn a file into immutable so its not replaced by cPanel. That didn't work either because I tried it. It seems that is how it was done in the past but starting with the new cPanel, the updates are extremely aggressive and will not respect any customized or branded files in the server. It will just replace everything. I tried multiple tricks using that logo as test and nothing works.

If you actually look that folder, there are several other images which a company may be brand, some are part of the interface and documentation. In particular if someone has cPanel as default in another language, they probably want to replace those as well with their own translated images.

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Have you seen the cPanel Brand Guide Guidelines doc?
    http://cpanel.com/cpanel-brand-guide/

Feel free to open a ticket directly to cPanel Support to ask about this if you like.

5. cPanelAdamF

cPanelAdamF cPanel Product Owner
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    @nibb - Would it be possible see what the area looks like? Maybe there are other ways we can suggest to achieve a good look for that area.

I understand what you're requesting regarding the customization of that area of the Paper Lantern interface. While the rest of Paper Lantern is very very customizable (moreso than X3 before it) using simple CSS, we do insist on the inclusion of that trademark footer area so that our end-users can be reassured that they are indeed using cPanel. Our intention is not to be overly disruptive to your look-and-feel, though.

Infopro likes this.