The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to cap how much a site can burst

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mm1250, Mar 6, 2008.

1. mm1250

mm1250 Well-Known Member

Hello,

I was looking at my bandwidth graphs today and I'm seeing my server peeking upto 20-30MB. This is a little to much and I want to cap how much a site can burst to 1mb lets say. Is there a way to do this?

Also, I notice in cPanel, the bandwidth usage only count IN traffic, not OUT. I'm getting some odd burst of over 10MB coming from OUT traffic but it seems cPanel doesn' show this. What is the best way to go about finding the site causing this? I have over 100 sites on the server.

Thanks

#1 mm1250, Mar 6, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  2. onezime

onezime Member

look for the BW spike time
    and review your logs

3. mm1250

mm1250 Well-Known Member

Which log files would you suggest I look at?

4. mm1250

mm1250 Well-Known Member

Anyone please help. I have a few sites on my server which I wish to throttle so they cannot burst to much..

5. johnmigen

johnmigen Active Member

We are using mod_bandwidth to throttle our outgoing traffic usage, but you may want to take note the throttling seems to work per connection.

That is to say, if you cap someone at 1mbps, if 10 users comes in, it is not 1mbps/10, but 1 x 10 users instead. I may be wrong, but it seems like that is whats happening to my server.

For bandwidth abuser, we generally have different tier to throttle them, like beyond 60GB traffic, throttle at 256kbps, but such throttling doesn't cap them fully still, a concurrent 100 connection can typically eat up most of your bandwidth especially a download site.

6. mm1250

mm1250 Well-Known Member

How can I install mod_bandwidth and configure it. Is it hard to do? Also, can you select which sites to throttle or is it global setting?

7. johnmigen

johnmigen Active Member

You can install using Easy apache, the limiting is domain base. You don't need rocket scientist to know how to limit, my 2cents.