The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to change addon domain to its own account?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by crecon, Dec 8, 2005.

1. crecon

crecon Registered

I have several seperate addon domains that have upgraded and need their own cpanel accounts. When I set them up, I have to manually change usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf to point to the right place, and FTP doesn't work, somehow even though I removed it from the original account using cpanel, it still seems to want to go there for the ftp login. How do I totally remove a addon domain from an account so it can be installed as it's own account on the same server? The biggest problem I need an answer to is the ftp issue. I can't figure out a manual work around.

-Steve

2. WCrooks

WCrooks Active Member

Remove it from the domain it's been added onto...basically...backup the data..delete the addon domain..make the account...and voila.

I'm thinking the addon part is whats confusing it...cpanel's method of login isn't useful in that regard.

#2 WCrooks, Dec 8, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2005
  3. crecon

crecon Registered

That is what I do, but for some reason it doesn't relase the ftp username. Any ideas? Where is this set in cpanel/whm? I notice it also leaves DNS entries in /var/cpanel/users/old-account-name - but deleting them there and restarting everything doesn't fix it.

-Steve

4. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    make sure the path is correct in
    passwd.vhosts

just FYI the best way to make an addon domain to a regular account (or you may have config files left over from your old account)

1. delete the addon domain in the users cpanel
    2. create the account
    3 mv the files via ssh or sftp frome the /adondomainfolder to the public_html folder of the new account
    4 chown the file to the correct owner
    5 move databases if needed