The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to change nameserver to be in another geolocation?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by postcd, Oct 28, 2014.

1. postcd

postcd Well-Known Member

Hello, in CSF (config server firewall) i have this advice:

i have above nameservers registered in my domain registar control panel, they are set to identic IP both.

How to proceed so i comply to RFC 2182 (Section 3.1) ?

I have an shared cpanel account on different server, does it mean i set that server IP and in my DNS Zone editor i set some ns or A record to another IP?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

It's suggesting that you setup a DNS server on another server (DNS-Only or third-party DNS provider) that's located in a different geographical location.

Thank you.

3. postcd

postcd Well-Known Member

That is not wat i asked.

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    No, that is not what it means. It's suggesting that you setup a DNS server on another server (DNS-Only or third-party DNS provider) that's located in a different geographical location.

Thank you.

5. postcd

postcd Well-Known Member

Thanks, i think you mean "cPanel® DNSONLY" here: DNSONLY | cPanel, Inc.
    And here how to setup cluster in WHM: https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/ALD/Configure+Cluster

Can anyone please explain this cpanel text from DNSONLY page mentioned above?

6. whr

whr Active Member

Ideally you need 2 nameservers (DNS running in 2 servers in different locations) for RFC 2182. But that isn't mandatory and you would need a DNS master/slave design to achieve that.

If you are just setting up a basic server, you don't have to care much about RFC 2182. Most of the web hosts setup their NS in the same server even using IPs in the same subnet.

7. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Could you let us know which parts of those statements you need explained further? For instance, which aspects are you unsure about?

Thank you.

8. mommaroodles

mommaroodles Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This is something I would also like to know how to do - I'm quite amazed - it seemingly seems like it should be easy enough for someone to tell one exactly what it is that need to be done and HOW TO DO IT!

6 replies to the answer and it's still not answered!

9. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    What answer are you looking for exactly? Does this thread help?
    [Tutorial] Nameserver configuration on cPanel servers - cPanel Forums
    Or these docs?
    Guide to DNS Cluster Configurations - cPanel Documentation
    How to Register Private Nameservers - cPanel Documentation

Those docs should be of some use.
    Understanding what you're reading is important. I'm not sure there is a do steps 1, 2, 3, and done document to link you to.

End reply 7.

Spork Schivago likes this.
  10. postcd

postcd Well-Known Member

I cant figure out answer to my question (see my initial post of this topic) from the topics and faq pages you linked us to. Would prefer targetted reply on how to do it (again, it is what i asked in my first post of this topic), + providing an example is probably too much to ask.

11. cPanelPeter

cPanelPeter Technical Analyst III
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello postcd,

Your initial post asked "How to proceed so i comply to RFC 2182 (Section 3.1) ?" This was answered by cPanelMichael... You need to create a DNS server (either running cPanel's DNS Only server or another 3rd party DNS server) at another location that is NOT using the same IP address range that your current name servers are using. Doing that, will make you RFC 2182 compliant.

Note that it is NOT required to be RFC 2182 compliant. It's merely a recommendation not a requirement. CSF is simply informing you that you should consider adding a name server that is NOT using the same IP address range as your current server so that you would be RFC 2182 compliant. It's not telling you you MUST do so.

That is what cPanelMichael, Infopro and others have explained.

The HOW TO's and tutorials provided, give you about as much step by step as you can get. So to reiterate, what part is not clear?

12. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    The same way you had setup your nameservers originally, duplicate that. Only, the domain you use, should be registered at different registrar, with different IPs associated with your server.

I have several domains with godaddy, one I use for nameservers for serverX. I also have several domains with google domains. One of them, I just setup to be a nameserver and then added it to Basic Settings in WHM on serverX, normally.

Running Firewall Check in CSF shows no message now, that item passes the test and is green.

If you've got the additional IPs to use, and domains at multiple Domain Registrars, you could do the same I would think. If not, ignore this test item. For one reason or another, you may never satisfy all of these tests, and that's ok depending on what they are. Like this one.

HTH!