The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to change owner of DNS zone?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by CanSpace, Mar 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. CanSpace

CanSpace Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I have several domains that were manually added by clicking "Add DNS Zone" in WHM. These zones/domains are now all owned by root.

How do I manually change the owner to another cPanel user, so that when I migrate that user (ie make a full cpanel backup and restore it elsewhere) it also migrates these DNS zones along with it.

I saw this thread which asks the same question:

Change DNS zone ownership

But I have a few questions:

a) The reply says to add the zone to /var/cpanel/users/CPUSER and then run
    /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/updateuserdomains

- Do I also need to remove the line for the corresponding domain from /var/cpanel/users/root?

- The CPUSER in question already has a few hundred addon domains ie DNS1-DNS100. Do I just manually add DNS101? Does it matter if I skip a number by accident?

- What are the XDNS lines I see in the /var/cpanel/users/CPUSER file? Are these relevant?

- When I run /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/updateuserdomains, will that update /etc/userdomains?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Yes. The entries may also exist in /var/cpanel/users/system if you do not see them in /var/cpanel/users/root.

Yes, you just add in the entry with the next number. It's okay if you skip ahead a number, but you should avoid duplicating a number.

Those are domain names that were part of the account in the past, but have since been removed. You can ignore these entries.

Yes.

Thank you.