The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to change yourdomain.com?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by spyang, Apr 15, 2004.

1. spyang

spyang Registered

Hi, when I log into CPanel, it says "Welcome yourdomain.com!" rather than "Welcome [my actual domain name]!".
    If I try to add email accounts, any account I try to add also gets the extension "@yourdomain.com". I also can't seem to log into any yourdomain.com created account via webmail.

I have a dedicated server with a valid domain name and proper DNS entries. Web host manager also knows my domain name. Is the yourdomain.com thing in CPanel normal, or is there a way to change it?

2. elleryjh

elleryjh Well-Known Member

THat's probably a dummy accoutn that your data center set up.

in whm, create a new account for your domain. Or you could "Modify an Account" to change the domain on that account.

3. spyang

spyang Registered

Thank you for the quick response. I appreciate you being helpful to a new user like myself. Here's what I tried in response to your message:
    Using WHM, I tried "List Accounts" and got nothing. I attempted to create an account using my domain name and got this message:
    WWWAcct 8.0 by J. Nick Koston

You cannot setup a domain that is the same as the servers hostname
    -------------------------
    If I try "Modify Account", I get two blank lists. What is the purpose of one of these accounts, and what do you think I should I try next?

4. elleryjh

elleryjh Well-Known Member

you need to create an account with the domain.
    server name should not the same as that domain name.

5. spyang

spyang Registered

OK, I renamed the hostname. My provider of my server apparently named the computer [domain.com] instead of [something.domain.com], so it wasn't immediately obvious to me that I had to give it a different name until you told me to.

After renaming the hostname, it suggested that I add an "A entry", so I did. I don't know the purpose of an A entry. There was a a bind error (connection refused). Otherwise, the operation was successful.

The next thing I did was try to add an account using my domain name. This time it rejected me because the domain I want to use is located in httpd.conf. This server is in production use, so I don't want to make any hasty moves. Assuming that I remove my domain name from httpd.conf and restart Apache, what should I expect to happen after I add an account?

6. sandeep

sandeep Registered

Check the permission of the folder /var/cpanel

chmod 755 /var/cpanel

This will fix the issue in most cases.

7. GOT

GOT Get Proactive!

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    The connection error is quite common on new servers and there are about five different things that could be wrong.

Do a search on rndc in the forums and you'll get a few good starting points.

8. aboyz

aboyz Well-Known Member

do a fix

cd /scripts/
    ./fixndc

do it 3 times
    that will fix your named.

9. GOT

GOT Get Proactive!

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Maybe. You also might have to edit the named.conf. Or the rndc.conf. Or even the /etc/sysconfig/named file...