The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to check backups & updates?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ThunderHostingDotCom, Feb 21, 2004.

1. ThunderHostingDotCom

ThunderHostingDotCom Well-Known Member

1) How do I find out how long my backups take to run?
    2) How do I check to see if my backups are running at the time they are supposed to?

I found out how to do this one - 3) How do I change my backups to run at 1am daily?
    I think I found this one also - 4) How do I change what time cPanel automatically does the cPanel Package updates & Security Package updates?

#1 ThunderHostingDotCom, Feb 21, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2004
  2. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

1) Your upcp email is sent AFTER the upgrade and backup process is finished, so if you know what time you actually get it, (not the time on the email, but when you actually got it), you know when the process finished. Take that and the time it was started and you get a pretty close idea.

2) 1 or 2 minutes after the scheduled time, log in via SSH and use top. It'll be at the top of the process list, unless there is a very active site.

3) In shell use "crontab -e".

4) Same as 3. They're part of the /scripts/upcp process.

1a) You can also use answer #2 for this. Just watch the processes until this one is finished.

#2 PWSowner, Feb 21, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2004
  3. ThunderHostingDotCom

ThunderHostingDotCom Well-Known Member

Ok, so I just checked & in the daily "Cron <root@thunder> /scripts/upcp" email that I get at the bottom there are all of the accounts being backed up. Cool! Now the backup was set to run at 3am & the email time is 3:01am. Are you saying that 3:01am is not the actual time that e-mail came in or is it right & my updates & backup only took 1 minute? Logically it sounds like the latter. 1 minute is not enough time to backup my entire server which is what I have it doing. Your thoughts?

4. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

The time stated in the email is just the time the process started. You likely received it at more like 3:30 to 6:00 am.

5. appcomm

appcomm Active Member

Related question

Hi...when I first started running this server with WHM/Cpanel in January, I was getting the upcp email each day which indicated what had taken place and the status of the backups. However, about 2 weeks ago, I stopped getting the emails. Checking my backup directory (setup under WHM as an FTP session), I see that the file dates are up to date, so it looks like it is running properly.

However, I'd like to get those e-mails again! Any words of wisdom on how to get them back? (I also got daily e-mails from the logwatch cron, and I still get those...it's just the upcp that has stopped.)

Thanks for any help you can provide.

6. Miss Jacky

Miss Jacky Well-Known Member

I have the same happening here, upcp mails not coming in anymore. I changed my update preferences from manual to auto yesterday, that's probably got something to do with it. However, I too want to keep receiving these mails!

Found any sollution for this yet?