The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to COMPLETELY block ALL outbound mail?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by MauriceW, Aug 4, 2014.

1. MauriceW

MauriceW Registered

Feb 28, 2014
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

We have a dedicated server with several domains configured. For all domains we use an external SMTP service to send out emails. Our websites send mail via this external SMTP service. So there is no need for the server to send out any mail.

Still we see mail going out, like bounce messages, non delivery reports and we even had some spam sending issues in the recent past.

So I have some questions:

1. Is it possible to configure WHM/CPanel to use our external SMTP server too, so that server/system emails are still sent to us?
    2. And is it possible to COMPLETELY block ALL outbound email on our server, so that it simply cannot send email anymore by itself? (but still be able to receive mail)

How can I achieve both?

Any help would be appreciated.
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

1. You could setup a smart host using the following option under the "Mail" tab in "WHM Home » Service Configuration » Exim Configuration Manager":

"Smarthost support"

2. You may find the following thread helpful:

How Do I Block One Domain From Sending Email From My Server?

It's intended for one domain name, but could apply to all domain names if configured slightly differently.

Thank you.