The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to configure mailman throttle

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Shane_from_UK, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Shane_from_UK

Shane_from_UK Active Member

Hi,

I am searching for the option to send an E-mail in small batches. For example I am having 10000 e-mail accounts mailing list and want to send an E-mail in small batches with 500 E-mails in one batch. I don't want to use phplist therefore looking for option to mailman throttle. Let us know if any one have idea how to configure the mailman throttle from the mailman admin section, I am having shared hosting account not having server root login details, I can make changes from mailman admin section only.

Awaiting your reply.

2. big_bull

big_bull Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I am also waiting for the solution for this, expecting cpanel engineers to reply to the thread. :)

3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  4. Shane_from_UK

Shane_from_UK Active Member

Thanks cPanelTristan, but it won't allow to throttle the outgoing mails from the mailing list therefore I think mailman is only useful, if you are having your own server. On the shared server mailman is waste of time... :(

5. big_bull

big_bull Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks cTristan.. :)

6. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Mailman is bound by the exim configuration rules. Under cPanel, you can have an hourly limit. Any emails that are beyond that hourly limit for the domain will remain in the queue and not deliver, then attempt delivery the next hour. This is already a setup that is similar to throttling.

Also, since mailman is bound by the exim rules, you can always define a rule specifically for mailman for routing emails. If you cannot find anything online to do it on search, you may consider posting on the exim mailing list to ask what you might use.

7. storminternet

storminternet Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It's true that domain has email limit to send per hour but it can be override for specific domains if requested by user and that may affect if user is sending emails from mailman. Indeed there should be throttling feature for mailman.

8. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I don't understand this portion:

Of course it can be changed for specific domains, but only by the root administrator of the machine (not by the end user). If the host only wants to allow a set number of emails per hour for a domain, that's the host's decision. It is indeed throttling for the domain, including emails sent by mailman.

Next, the link I provided mentions this at the end if the entire page is read:

It is throttling sending out emails to recipients from mailman. How is that not throttling to use the patch?

To reiterate the 3 ways discussed so far on how to accomplish throttling for mailman:

1) Try using the throttling patch at http://wiki.list.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4030607 location (or ask your host if they would be willing to install it if you do not have access to do so)
    2) Use WHM > Tweak Settings > Mail > Max hourly emails per domain to restrict emails per hour for all accounts, or WHM > Modify an Account > select the account > Maximum Hourly Email by Domain Relayed for individual accounts
    3) Post on exim mailing list to configure a router specific to mailman for throttling

Of note, this thread was not placed into the feature request section of the forum. If it is a feature request rather than a discussion on how to accomplish throttling, which I've provided details on how to do since mailman's administrator section does not have that option, please post into the appropriate forum.

Thanks!

9. dexus

dexus Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    That is not how cPanel/Exim hourly limit works. When limit is reached exim just bounce back all mails that are over the limit with permanent error 5xx - hourly limit exeeded, and does not keep them in the queue... I think that cPanel/Exim never keept those mails in the queue when limit is reached.

I see some nice tweak options for that behavior in v11.32, so maybe it will work that way from v11.32.