The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to connect to FTP with IP address?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wolverana, Nov 15, 2010.

1. wolverana

wolverana Member

Hello,

I've made an account for someone in the WHM, but we don't have the nameservers updated yet so we can't access anything via the domain name. I'm able to connect to the cPanel for their account using the IP setup without any problems, but I can't figure out how to setup the ftp to temporarily work using the IP address until we get the nameservers updated (might take another week or so, so I really do need to do this if possible).

We're using Site5 reseller hosting if that helps at all, on a Linux server, and trying to use DirectFTP client to connect. Please let me know if there's anything else you need if I missed it. Thanks for your assistance.

2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Simply specify the server's IP address as the FTP host in your FTP client's configuration. Log in as the cPanel account user, with the password for that user. The cPanel account user is a system user and has access to FTP by default.

3. wolverana

wolverana Member

Hiya,

Yeah that's what I thought too, but it doesn't want to connect for me when I try that. I've tried every way to Sunday and it just will not go through lol, I'm dumbfounded ( no not dumb hehe ) :P

4. aedges

aedges Member

As long as the user and pass are correct it will log you in via ftp.

double check the user and passwords

also check that you are using port 21 and it is not blocked by your servers firewall as i had this problem when i tried to tweak my security :)

#4 aedges, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  5. wolverana

wolverana Member

Thanks, I think maybe the change password thing isn't working right in the cPanel and that is what messed it up. I deleted the account and recreated it and it's working fine now and the only thing I did different is I didn't change the password at all on this one so I guess we better make sure the password is what we want it to be first lol. thanks for your help :)