How to control the frequency of awstats updates

newbies

Jul 9, 2004
Hi,

I searched this forum and couldn't find an answer.

How can I control how frequent awstats updates the stats for all site or a specific site? I checked the default cronjob of root and didn't see any awstats script there. Please let me know which script control this.

Thannks.

chirpy

Verifed Vendor
Jun 15, 2002
Go on, have a guess
WHM > Tweak Settings > "Number of days between processing log files and bandwidth usage (default 1, decimal values are ok)"

newbies

Jul 9, 2004
Thanks chirpy.

How about if I want to update every 15 min?

Actually I have get around as a user (I only want this user to be updated right now) by setting up a cron job as this
perl /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/bin/awstats.pl -config=domain.com -update=1

I know awstats has an option -updateall, but it seems not work with the cpanel installtion, If yes, I would use cront job as root to update for all users.

chirpy

Verifed Vendor
Jun 15, 2002
Go on, have a guess
The problem with updating much more that every 12 hours is that you're likely to overload your server. Awstats (like most stats programs) are heavily CPU, memory and I/O intensive. I would suggest that you leave cPanel top update them once a day and enable the option in WHM > Tweak Settings > "Allow users to update Awstats from cPanel"

AlexAT

PartnerNOC
May 23, 2003
Ukraine
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
but:
when you set it up to work once a day it will generate BIG load because it needs update stats for each day.

when you st it up to update each 2 hours it will generate much less load.

am I right?

newbies

Jul 9, 2004
I agree.

If I run the stats every 15 min, it's like a breeze and won't cause spikes to the server. If it runs every 12 hr or more, especially you have set dns lookup, it can freeze your server as I have observed on a VPS.

EMS

BANNED
May 10, 2003
In "tweak settings" - if I wanted to run AWStats every 2 hours, what decimal value would I enter ?

Sorry - I'm mathmatically dyslexic so your help would be appreciated.

dwh2

Jan 14, 2004
I'd like to hear real world experience. Is setting to decimals better?