The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to convert non-cpanel mail server to cpanel mail server??

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by matthewchan, Jul 28, 2006.

1. matthewchan

matthewchan Member

My office has an ancient redhat 7.0 mail server(sendmail, neomail), I want to buy CPanel but I need to ensure the smooth migration from my old ancient mail server to CPanel one(i.e. retain all email in new cpanel server). Can anyone help??

PS : I have two server(one brand new linux server and my old server) for conversion.

Matthew

2. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

This could be simple, could be tricky.

What format is mail stored in now? (maildir, mbox, etc.) How many users? Are they users under the system, or just mail accounts?

I think your best shot will be to install cPanel on the new server, recreate the users as needed, copy the email for each user into the appropriate spot and move on from there. That's a greatly simplified answer, obviously :)

3. matthewchan

matthewchan Member

lol, it look simple.

I don't know what maildir and mbox is....but the mails are stored at user's home dir(yes , they are users under the system)

thx for your reply, I try to build a new cpanel server and move those stuff to new one.

4. kkargel

kkargel Active Member

If you can enable IMAP on both servers it can be very simple. Last time I did this I used IMAP Migration Tool and it went quite smoothly for 10K users. It has been a while so I am sure there are more current tools out there. Google for 'IMAP migration'