The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to correctly setup Tomcat JSP for a user?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by staraxan, Jun 12, 2006.

1. staraxan

staraxan Member

The documentation and everything else (every single website and wiki I seen on Tomcat) are totally and completely useless. It seems like every single doc and website starts by trying to teach you how to write an app, test an app, blah, blah, blah.

Doesn't look like there is one site out there who put a single document together on Tomcat for people who want to install it on a server for OTHER people to use and have absolutely zero interest using it themselves. Can't find a single document that explains the best way to install it and to correctly set it up for others to use.

So that is the point I'm at now. I installed Tomcat JSP thru Webhostmanager. I installed servlets on a test user.

Now I have no clue if it is working right or not. When I go to www.userdomain.com:8080, I get a directly listing with two bars. One bar at the top and one bar at the bottom, and the words apache/tomcat is listed in the bottom bar.

I can not access Tomcat manager as that user. And when I tryed to follow some instructions I found elsewhere, and edited tomcat-users.xml, and made that user a manager. That basically allowed him to stop applications on a system wide basis which obviously is not what you would want. The only way I seem to be able to access manager as that user is thru the host domain, and not the user's domain.

So a couple questions:

1st) Can you give Tomcat manager access to a user, where the user can't alter / stop / start OTHER users tomcat applications? And is there anywhere a user can access manager thru his userdomain? (i.e. www.userdomain.com)? Or are you forced to use the host domain, and what prevents the user from having complete control of every single application on a system wide basis?

2nd) How do you know if Tomcat is correctly setup, and that when you install servlets to a user, that the user really has what he needs?

3rd) What else do you need to do, or should I do, after clicking install servlets on a user.

I like to offer Tomcat JSP as part of the packages I sell, and I like to do it correctly. So any comments or suggestions from people who are webhost resellers and are already doing it. Would help me a lot!

(Note: hostdomain in the above text would refer to the webhosting reseller's domain, and userdomain would refer to whatever domain that your user was using.)

#1 staraxan, Jun 12, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2006
  2. sneader

sneader Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    All good questions that I have myself... too bad nobody answered them. :(

- Scott

3. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

The tomcat site is very well documented in the faq with those questions. I setup tomcat in many servers regularly.

4. sneader

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks jayh38... we're going to give it a shot! :)

- Scott

5. sneader

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well, piece of cake so far. Running CentOS 4.4 here, and simply used the WHM cPanel Add-on Module to add Tomcat, then used the new link in WHM after the install, to add JSP support for one user. Ran the jsptest.jsp file that it put in the user's directory and it rendered it. So, I guess now I'll see if the user has any questions/problems.

- Scott

6. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

Yes, its not bad to setup. You could also install the admin package which is simple as dropping in a few files in the proper directories. You can also setup users for the manager and admin panels which is handy at times. Everything is highly configurable and fairly well documented in the manual and commented well in the xml files.

I never had a real problem with it and it runs great.