Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

How to crash your server using cPanel in one easy step

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by myusername, Dec 16, 2004.

1. randomuser2

randomuser2 Member

no no, see, any time cPanel adds a junk group name to httpd.conf, that's YOUR fault because you were editing the config manually while cPanel was making changes. Don't believe me? See the bugzilla report I opened on this previously regarding cPanel adding garbage to httpd.conf, where I was blamed for the non issue (which was caused solely by cPanel):

http://bugzilla.cpanel.net/show_bug.cgi?id=4329

Resolution: INVALID

cPanel staff, please do tell everyone else in this thread who has experienced this issue that they are all at fault, and not cPanel, and then close this thread like you would a bugzilla report. Thanks.

2. derekivey

derekivey Well-Known Member

I can confirm this on a CentOS 4.3 server running cPanel 10.8.2-CURRENT_118.

3. BubbaGum

BubbaGum Active Member

We now get this problem as well when changing a username for an account in the same version and OS listed above. Never had a problem previously.

4. zigzam

zigzam Well-Known Member

I already disabled this feature for my resellers, because of all the problems it caused.

5. RandyO

RandyO Well-Known Member

This is nothing new, so do not expect any speedy fix... First time I saw this happen was around 2003

6. Voltio

Voltio Active Member

How do you disable this feature? I dont really see it on the list of Account Management

The closest list: Account Modification (warning: this will allow circumvention of account creation limits, give shell access (unless explicitly disallowed), dedicated ips, etc)

7. RandyO

RandyO Well-Known Member

make sure that box is unchecked

8. Voltio

Voltio Active Member

I have modified an user's account and I didnt get this error. Was the bug fixed? or this only happens when the scripts that modifies the account name (username) is interrupted by lets say refreshing the page, or losing internet connection?

9. bsasninja

bsasninja Well-Known Member

The problem still happens!!!!!

Yes guys/gals, the problem is still present, this issue happened to me a lot of times.

Seems that resellers dont wait the modify username process and they quit it, leaving the process done by half.
    So apache has one thing in the config and at /home the username is other so it wont start.

So in a way to prevent this I will open a bugzilla ticket. So read carefully!

There must be an option in WHM at "Tweak Settings" where you can allow/disallow resellers from changing their customers usernames or modify their customers domain names when they enter to "Modify an Account" option.

Is a better secure way that an admin do this, cause some users likes to change their names frecuently and they crash apache for several hours until you got it fixed.

I know that is just a simple line of code Cpanel programmers have to add to their engine and would be useful for a lot of people.

In the next post, i will paste the link to the bugzilla ticket.

10. bsasninja

bsasninja Well-Known Member

11. cPDan

cPDan cPanel Staff Staff Member

12. faqall

faqall Active Member

Just encountered this problem today. Removed the users account and readded it.

WHM 10.8.0 cPanel 10.9.0-S119
    CentOS 4.4 i686 - WHM X v3.1.0