The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to create a cpanel for a subdomain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MWD, Dec 5, 2012.

1. MWD

MWD Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    I have looked over many topics but I'm unable to locate one for this specific question of mine.

I have created a subdomain (test.domain.com)

I would like to be able to create it's OWN CPANEL. I have gone into my WHM and "create a new account". But after filling in all it's information, I get the error:

I'm not sure what to do from here. I don't want to delete something that may cause me more headaches (not sure what to actually delete).

Any assistance or pointing to help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank yoU~!

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You'll need to remove the sub.domain from your cPanel on the main domain first. I believe that's what you're saying you did first, created it there. Once you remove it there, you should be able to create a new account with a sub.domain.

3. MWD

MWD Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Does this mean that what I have already installed in that sub-domain (which I created via the cpanel of "domain.com" will be lost?

And is it best to first create the subdomain in WHM first (which will create it's own CPANEL) ?

Just a bit confused on the schematics of this..

Thanks

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Lost, as in existing DNS entries for that sub.domain on the server, yes. They will be removed. The directory created on the account when you first created the sub.domain will remain, and be accessible as a folder now though instead of the sub.domain.

Before you do anything, you should take a complete Website Backup from your cPanel, and download it for safe keeping. You can never go wrong with backups.

If it was me I might take this route for example. Backup account, remove sub.domain from my cPanel from the same place I created it, then (if I wanted to reuse that same subdomain), rename my old sub.domain directory located here:

/home/myname/public_html/mysub

To something else, like OLDmysub just to be sure its safe from being overwritten or something.

Next create the new account from WHM. You'll need to download the contents of mysub and upload to the new account now.

5. MWD

MWD Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Great! Thanks so much, Infopro. Exactly what I needed to know.

TY TYVM! :)