The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to create a cpanel user with limited access?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Viruthagiri, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Viruthagiri

Viruthagiri Registered

Hello everyone, I have a vps server with cpanel/WHM.

I have recently bought a script from a guy. But it has some error. I contacted him. He asking my cpanel/ftp user name and password to correct the error.
    But i'm little bit afraid to give him cpanel username and password. Because i have 6 sites. Also i have some most valuable scripts which i bought from others.
    So is there any way to create a user with temporary password. Also i want to limit his cpanel access to specific folder only in the file manager.
    For example my site name something.com all the files are stored in "something.com" folder. I want him to access that specific folder only. I mean i want to limit that user access to that specific folder also i want him to access that specific site's database only. Hope you guys understand.
    Is there any way to do such things. Please reply me.

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    If he's asking for user name and password for FTP it would seem he's got an FTP client, so no need to give him File Manager access. There really is no way to limit access for the main cPanel user so he can be shared, nor to create a sub user with limited access.

What you could do though if you've got an extra domain name available, create an addon domain on top of your main domain and move your files to that directory (which would be located inside your public_html/addon.com/) and then give him access to that addon domain FTP login details. When he logs into that addon domain, he's stuck in there with no way to get to the rest of your file system.

There's a video clip briefly showing how to do this here:
    Addon Domains - cPanel Video Production

Or if you like, you could create a new sub.domain of your main domain, but not from your account's cPanel, instead, create the sub.domain.net from your WHM create new account tools.

Of course you might like to first create a special package and feature list just for this purpose and give this to that sub.domain when you create it.

Doing this gives him access to the files you place in that directory, same as above (which would be located inside your public_html/addon.com/), and gives him full access to "a" cPanel, but not your, cPanel. This way he has access to File Manager if you want.

A few options for you. HTH!

3. Viruthagiri

Viruthagiri Registered

Thanks for the reply. It really useful to me.

4. Viruthagiri

Viruthagiri Registered

Hi again i have a problem. I created add on domain and ftp accounts.
    But the connect.php files contains my database username and password. If it revealed he can access the entire database. So how can i give it to him. Is there any way in mysql create new user for that specific database?

5. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You might want to remove that addon domain, just as you added it first, and then go with the second option mentioned previously and create an actual account via WHM instead. This way he's got access to an entirely different database and user account. Move your files and that database to this new account and you should be good to go.