The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to create a fallback mailserver?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Danny_T, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Danny_T

Danny_T Well-Known Member

Hello,

How to create a fallback mailserver on a different location for all current and newly created whm accounts?

I know how to do it in DNS records but still not found a good how-to for mailserver on the internet.

Danny.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

It entirely depends on the mail server you use for your backup MX as to how you would configure it. As far as the main cPanel server is concerned, there's nothing you need to do at all except setup the MX records correctly (which you can do for new domains by modifying the zone templates in WHM to setup the two A records and the two MX records. If you use another cPanel server as the backup MX server, then all you need do is to list the domains you want to relay in /etc/secondarymx

3. Danny_T

Danny_T Well-Known Member

It going to be a standalone server just only for mail. So i know that i something must do with scripts that syncs things from the cPanel server.

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Probably the simplest way would be to use a synchronised copy of /etc/localdomains on the remote mail server and make any changes you need to the remote mail servers SMTP server base on its requirements for relaying email as a backup MX service.