The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to create a full cPanel backup only which i can access ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 5416339, Jan 22, 2011.

1. 5416339

5416339 Member

Now in the backup wizard i usually create a backup and store in the Home directory.But it can be acess through WHM by my host right ?

So how i prevent this from happening.

CAn i store it somewhere else where only i an have access to it ?

So can i store in SCP ?

but what is Remote Dir (FTP/SCP only): ?

Thanks

2. LinuxTechie

LinuxTechie Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can download the backup and can save it in your local machine! lol.. Remote Dir means if you have an account in another server or you have another server you can store it there also.

3. DEVNEB

DEVNEB Member

If I rightly understand your question, you're asking if you could prevent your host from seeing your backups or your files ?

Your host can have a look in any of your file (even backup), as a technical manager he needs to access everything about his hosting service. It can be access through WHM and many others ways. But, maybe if your host is only a reseller he cannot do it, I'm not sure about what power does resellers have. I will try right now to be sure.

If you have doubt about your host, you should have some privacy terms and have a look about the way your host's taking care of confidentials informations. Anyway, you cannot prevent him from accessing your file, but I'm pretty sure your host doesn't have the time, neither any reason to spy on you. Should you ?

Even if you store your backup in another server using Remote Dir, it will not make any difference. Backups are an automatic way to prevent user from loosing theirs files, so the local backup will always be there (except if the host doesn't configure it that way).