Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

How to create a subdomain without service

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rocko, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Rocko

Rocko Active Member

#1 Rocko, Mar 31, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2019
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @Rocko,

Can you share more information about the problem caused by the creation of the Service Subdomain aliases? If you want to remove them after the subdomain is created, then you can create the service subdomains through cPanel >> Subdomains and redirect them to the location of your preference.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Rocko

Rocko Active Member

The problem is cPanel creates a lot of subdomains when a subdomain is created. Those are the service subdomains (webmail, cpanel, etc.) and proxy subdomains (autodiscover._tcp,_caldav._tcp).
    I need to create subdomains without them. I know I can manually delete the records in the DNS zone, but they are a lot and it would be time consuming, additionally, they are linked with the VHOSTS file and I can not reach it without root privileges.
    I use the Reseller interface and I can not avoid those subdomains, then I want to know the way to create a subdomain with a single A record in the DNS zones and its corresponding part in the VHOSTS file. I wonder if I can use the cPanel interface or there are files I can edit manually.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @Rocko,

The workaround options are limited because you do not have root access to the system. As a reseller, you will not have access to make changes to the Apache configuration file or to disable service subdomains via WHM >> Tweak Settings.

You may want to consider upgrading to a VPS or contacting your reseller hosting provider to see if they can offer a solution to automatically disable proxy subdomains for your new subdomains through the use of a standardized hook. Otherwise, manually removing the A records from the DNS zone post subdomain creation is the best approach without root access.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...