The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to create an account with no DNS

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by wizzerd1024, Dec 6, 2005.

1. wizzerd1024

wizzerd1024 Member

Hi, I want to setup a subdomain for a website that is already hosted on another server -
    So I have www.mydomain.com on Server X. I want my new server with WHM/CPanel to serve the subdomain forums.mydomain.com only ( so www.mydomain.com still is on old server).
    How do I do this - since everytime I create an account WHM automatically adds a domain name to the account. I will create a DNS entry on other server to point forums.mydomain.com to point to the new server here - so I do not need WHM to create the DNS zone. But if dont specify a domain name in WHM then how do I make sure HTTP headers are setup correctly on this server?

Thanks

2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

There is always the potential of forums.example.com failing to work correctly without DNS.

Is there any overwhelming reason you don't want DNS records created for this account? I can't see the DNS records causing any problems. Can you?

3. fwwebs

fwwebs Well-Known Member

Create the account and delete the zone. Also, delete the subdomain from a file called local.domains or something similar. Try searching for the exact file name.

4. wizzerd1024

wizzerd1024 Member

Becauase, as I mentioned in my post, the DNS for this domain & subdomain (forums.mydomain.com) is already setup on another server. I just want the Cpanel server to host the website. I dont want to have change the DNS just to host the forums on this server.
    I would imagine this should be easy to do - but I cant figure out how.

Also, in reply to the second suggestion : Create the account and thene delete the Zone.
    If you create the account with domain and then delete the Zone manually - you create a major problem in Cpanel for the account. You will see the error "Your cpanel file is missing DNS information" and there is no easy way to fix this either. I have another post somewhere here on this problem as well !

5. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

I think you are thinking about this in an over-complex way.

Creating an account for subdomain.example.com will create a DNS zone for subdomain.example.com only. This will have no effect on, and does not need to have any effect on, the DNS zone for example.com.

The only way in which creating an account for subdomain.example.com differs from creating an account for example.com is that you have to create an A record in the DNS zone for example.com to point subdomain.example.com to the relevant IP address. As you've done this, you just need to create the relevent subdomained account.

It really is that straightforward. Creating an account for subdomain.example.com will indeed create a DNS zone on the same server for subdomain.example.com - this is needed and should not present any problems.

The best suggestion I can give is to just create an account for subdomain.example.com and then post back with any issues you encounter, rather than trying to pre-emptively counter issues that don't (any most likely won't) exist.

For example, I host accounts for a number of example.eu.com domains. As you can see, these are technically subdomains of eu.com, although sold as full domains for whatever marketing reason. For an example.eu.com account, I will simply set up an account for example.eu.com and that's it. Done. Finished. Easy.

6. randomuser

randomuser Well-Known Member

Very well said. Make account; update the A record for the subdomain to point to the IP address of the other server. bada bing that's it.

7. ghv

ghv Well-Known Member

I do this frequently. The way I do it is set up subdomain.outsidedomain.com in WHM
    (not cpanel) and give it a static IP. I then have the admins of outsidedomain.com point the
    'subdomain' DNS to the static IP.

Doing it via WHM does not require outsidedomain.com to be set up on the server.

Works fine with only one issue. When set up this way

http://subdomain.outsidedomain.com/whatever/

works fine, but:

http://subdomain.outsidedomain.com/whatever

causes a 404. Never been able to solve that one.