The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to create subdomain automatically with new accounts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sebi, Nov 1, 2004.

1. sebi

sebi Registered

I want to be able to create a subdomain automatically, the subdomain mail. i know that i can put the "mail" folder in the skeleton directory and that works, but i want to be able for all my accounts to have mail.domain.com set up. that way they don't have to rmember to use :2095 to check email over the web.

If anyone can help, please let me know! thanks

2. fwwebs

fwwebs Well-Known Member

To check email over the web you can use http://yourdomain.tld/webmail/ and that will forward to port 2095. It is possible to write a script that creates a subdomain automatically, but I don't believe there is a way to do this during WHM account creation.

Additionally, using mail.mydomain.tld as a subdomain will typically server up the servers default page, since this is the default MX and A record for the mail server.

3. haze

haze Well-Known Member

The mail subdomain is already added at account creation ( have a look @ edit a dns zone ). As stated above, have users log into /webmail in order to get webmail access, its easy to remember.

4. fwwebs

fwwebs Well-Known Member

It's really a pointer for the mail server that would allow for using another server for mail. It's not a subdomain in the website sense since there is no httpd.conf entry, and therefore will resolve to the servers default page and not a user account.