Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

How to delete other usage and stop generating

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mrina, May 27, 2019.

1. mrina

mrina Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello,
    I ready many posts here with no answer , I have VPS each my client account in disk usage show OTHER USAGE takes like 3/4 of package, can I follow this ways:

du -sh /home/username

If it's less usage than reported for the account disk space usage in cPanel or WHM, then it indicates there are files owned by this user elsewhere on the system. This could include mailing lists, or simply files owned by the account elsewhere on the system.
    ///

Or is there some linux shell command for search files with owner name?

find / -user CPANELUSERNAME
    ///

The output from 'find / -user USERACCOUNT' finds a lot of user files behind /home/USERACCOUNT directory like:
    /var/tmp/ci_sessionc1u979hdjr0ugk6jundln07ms9b3gsg9
    /var/tmp/ci_sessionfbktalasciilj300d4t2kj7do7o119fo

I run again # cd /var/tmp and # find . -type f -name "*session*" -exec rm {} \;

But nothing reduce, any help please

Attached Files:

2. GOT

GOT Get Proactive! PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Its possible the quotas are messed up. Also its possible that your VM is not set up properly for quotas, this is especially common if you have an OpenVZ container.

You can try running /scripts/fixquotas and see if that corrects the issue.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mrina

mrina Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    T
    Thank you I running but still that USAGE shown

4. GOT

GOT Get Proactive! PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Unfortuantely, you have listed the tools necessary to find these files and we don't have any additional visibility here. I would review again the output of find / -user CPANELUSERNAME and see if you are missing something in the output.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. mrina

mrina Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thank you final I got the solution after long fighting, and this can help others , here is a details of what cause my problem:(sorry for bad English)
    --------
    Past days ago I face this issue before now become huge and one of my server support give this solution :
    "We would like to let you know that we have checked your VPS and found out that mentioned "Other Usage" disk usage in cPanel/WHM statistic is actually the metadata that the system uses to store emails in the mail directories.
    As we can see, such structure of storing emails is inherent only for "mdbox" email storage format. It is normal behavior for this format since the metadata doesn't contain email messages but occupies some disk space that you can see as "Other Usage". As an alternative, you can convert all your account from "mdbox" to "maildir" email storage format using "Mailbox Conversion" menu in WHM."
    => AFTER CONVERTING: it solve the problem, but When you convert mailboxes, the system creates the /storage directory in the following directories for each email account:
    /home/user/mail
    /home/user/mail/domain/emailaccount
    If you can convert in again maybe from mdbox to maildir is increase the size.

=> The files in (/storage) is one shown as OTHER USAGE in Cpanel so when yo delete it it remove all files but simple use this script to convert the mailbox once again: https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/80Docs/The+Mailbox+Format+Conversion+Scripts and added the flag --delete-old-format:

/usr/local/cpanel/scripts/convert_mdbox_to_maildir --user=username --delete-old-format
    /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/convert_maildir_to_mdbox --user=username --delete-old-format
    where username =CPANEL USERNAME

6. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hello @mrina

I'm glad you were able to get the issue resolved and thanks for posting the solution that worked for you!

mrina likes this.