The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to disable api for resellers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by admin0, Apr 14, 2005.

1. admin0

admin0 Active Member

Hi,

How to disable the API for resellers, so that those resellers cannot resell "reseller packages" by using the API. We want them to use the WHM for adding all accounts.

Cheers,
    :D

2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

Could you clarify the situation? Which API?

If you're referring to the standard remote access functions provided by Cpanel, I believe that these should only allow anyone to create accounts with the same restrictions as if created through WHM.

Is this not the case for you? What seems to be happening?

3. admin0

admin0 Active Member

Hi,

Yes, I would like to disable the standard remote access functions provided by Cpanel for access to one/all resellers, and force them to use WHM for opening accounts.

Is it possible ?

Cheers,

4. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how to disable the API or even if its possible.

However I can't see why you would want to, as through the API users shouldn't be able to do anything that WHM wouldn't let them do i.e. they can't do anything more via the API than they can through WHM.

What's your thinking behind forcing resellers to use WHM and not use the API?

5. admin0

admin0 Active Member

Hi,

That is the specific need to not let resellers use the API, and force all to do via WHM.

Requirement:

The Hosting Company that requires this sells reseller plans at $25 a month for 1gb space/10gb bandwidth for a specific country and city, as he is the only in the country selling reseller plans locally. This is how he is making business, selling just reseller plans.

A reseller comes along, purchases 5gb space/50gb bandwidth for $75 a month. The reseller uses the API, creates his own custom page and starts selling 1gb space/10gb bandwith reseller plans at the same local market at $5 a month, saying as his own server and his own custom control panel.

This is why the requirement has arised. Asking the reseller nicely yield no positive results. This has to be blocked from the server side. Perhaps changing the hashkey or something like that ?

All help appretiated.

Cheers,

6. fwwebs

fwwebs Well-Known Member

Limit Access to Accounting.php.inc located in /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel either by permissions or possibly by using WHM itself.
    I must ask though; Why would your reseller create users with 1gb of bandwidth for $5 when their cost is $75 for 5gb? They'd be loosing $50 per month, unless they're overselling. If that's the case just disable overseller in the resellers center.

#6 fwwebs, Apr 14, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2005
  7. admin0

admin0 Active Member

Accounting.php.inc --- is that used only by the API ? will doing a chmod 000 or mv break anything else ?

In a closed market where 1gb/10gb reseller plan is running at $25/month, a $5/month plan for the same will generate some waves

Cheers,