The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to disable Boxtrapper

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sparek-3, Sep 22, 2005.

1. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Apparently one of our servers has Boxtrapper enabled. I guess this was done through one of the cpanel updates, I am really not sure, I will investigate this a little later. The server load on the server just gets very high and at times the server becomes unresponsive. How can I disable boxtrapper? I have taken it out of the Feature Manager, but I think this just prevents users from enabling boxtrapper. Users who have already enabled it still have it enabled. I just want to disable it completely. I realize there will probably be some backlash from some customers who are using it and its really shodding administration on my part because I did not know it was enabled. However I need to get the server back to where it is stable. I don't have Cpanel Pro installed, I have tried eximup --force and it still seems to be present in the exim.conf file. Does anyone know how to completely disable boxtrapper?

If this has already been mentioned in a thread, I'm sorry, I did try to search and I read through a few threads and didn't see anything real specific.

2. jogjabox

jogjabox Member

You can find the option to disable boxtrapper on "tweak Setting" menu.

HTH

3. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    OK I feel really dumb now. Thanks for that.

I'm really not sure if the high load was caused by boxtrapper or not. I did change a forwarder that was set up incorrectly and the load seemed to go down after that. Not sure if that was causing the problems or not, it seems really simple, could have just been a coincidence. I just saw where this server had boxtrapper enabled and I think I went a little crazy trying to find solutions, thinking that was what the problem was. I have cooled off now. Thanks for the info though, and I have disable boxtrapper on this server.

4. Zazoos1

Zazoos1 Well-Known Member

I have disabled BoxTrapper Spam Trap in the features list and in the Server Configuration --> Tweak Settings, but it is still somehow enabled on the server and allowing my clients to access this option in their cpanels and enable it. How I can remove this option altogether?

I tried asking this same question to my Server Provider and their reply was:

"It appears boxtrapper is being added by cpanel pro. As this is third party software, we can't support it without the use of administrative time, which is a billable service.. Removing cpanel pro will effectively remove boxtrapper, however. "

I tried entering a supprt ticket at cpanel.net but got a reply that says:

"Your previous email has been rejected by our ticket processing system because it contains keywords consistent with spam.
    Please contact us if this rejection is in error.

Bad word: soft.*ab"

My email to cpanel.net said exactly the above about my boxtrapper issue so I cannot see how it was regarded as spam or where it contained the 'Bad Word' phrase they are referencing. :(

I hope someone here can offer advice. Thanks for yout time.

5. Zazoos1

Zazoos1 Well-Known Member

I found this in another post to remove cpanel pro:

rm -rf cpanelpro-Linux-0.9.9.2

Will this command only remove the add on and still leave a cpanel version or my clients to access? Sorry if I sound dumb, just don't want to break something.

6. abubin

abubin Well-Known Member

if removing cpanel pro is the only way to remove boxtrapper then you will need to consider whether you still need other stuffs provided by cpanel pro. If you need those other services then you can't remove cpanel pro. If I am not mistaken, mailscanner is also provided by cpanel pro.

7. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Boxtrapper is no longer part of cPanel Pro, it was removed some months ago and placed in the base code. MailScanner isn't part of cPanel pro, it's a third-party addon. If you use my front-end you need Pro for the API it provides.

8. amal

amal Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have a problem here..

I disabled boxtrapper from tweak settings and feature manager
    but it was still working for accounts which enabled boxtrapper earlier.

so, i removed the boxtrapper binaries - /usr/local/cpanel/bin/boxtrapper & /usr/local/cpanel/bin/boxtrappermigrate
    But after an upcp, it came back and is working again.. Any ideas how to remove this stuff fully. And yes, I have cpanelpro installed. Will boxtrapper be removed only if cpanelpro is uninstalled?

9. amal

amal Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  10. rsutc

rsutc Well-Known Member

See the last post (mine) in that thread. I haven't been able to make it go away and stay away despite following all these suggestions. Anything that rebuilds exim.conf puts the boxtrapper parts back, and those accounts that had previously enabled it are off and running again sending out challenges. What is more, disabling boxtrapper in WHM does not remove it from all skins. It is still in xcontroller, for instance.

Any more ideas?

Rick

11. bhd

bhd Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Same problem here. Eventually I simply capitulated and put the rm -fr ... into a cron which runs daily and kills all boxtrapper directories. Not elegant but it works. Still looking for a permanent fix though.